TRAVEL PERMITS WITH INTENT TO FILM

Hey, I'm preparing a plan to do some documentary 16mm film work in south india. Do i need permits or special permission for this (im in Canada)? I was at the Indian foreign office a couple of weeks ago preparing my visa for travel but hesitated to ask in case it opened a huge issue up.

I'm doing an amateur production, was originally bringing an arri 16st and nagra, but now ive downsized to a Bolex 16 and small Marantz recorder, both of which are less conspicuous and lightweight. I don't want to use digital at all.

I figure it will attract less attention also.

I have been there before, and have a support network for my story, im just concerned about getting bogged down in paperwork or refused.

thanks

Hey, I'm preparing a plan to do some documentary 16mm film work in south india. Do i need permits or special permission for this (im in Canada)? I was at the Indian foreign office a couple of weeks ago preparing my visa for travel but hesitated to ask in case it opened a huge issue up.

I'm doing an amateur production, was originally bringing an arri 16st and nagra, but now ive downsized to a Bolex 16 and small Marantz recorder, both of which are less conspicuous and lightweight. I don't want to use digital at all.

I have been there before, and have a support network for my story, im just concerned about getting bogged down in paperwork or refused.

thanks

I traveled to Thialand, and throughout that part of the world with a Bolex, and really wasnt hasseled to much, only in airports when it came to x-raying film, which obviously I couldnt open.

thanks

Hi Stephen,

If you have a support network, then it is better get the SPONSORSHIP/ INVITATION letter

for your project along with permission letters from the concerned govt. departments,

you can attach the copies of the Invitation & permission letters,

should not be a problem to get visa,

unless the subject is not involved any controversial matter,

If you can tell me about the places where you are going to shoot and a line about the story,

I may be able to tell you from which of the departments you may need to get the permissions,

regards

murthy

Hi Stephen,

If you have a support network, then it is better get the SPONSORSHIP/ INVITATION letter

for your project along with permission letters from the concerned govt. departments,

you can attach the copies of the Invitation & permission letters,

should not be a problem to get visa,

unless the subject is not involved any controversial matter,

If you can tell me about the places where you are going to shoot and a line about the story,

I may be able to tell you from which of the departments you may need to get the permissions,

regards

murthy

Do you think I need to worry about permits if I only shoot hand held??