Twin Falls Idaho

I did a search for "Twin Falls Idaho", but wasn't able to find a post directly about the film. I found many on "Northfork" and was confused as to why one received so much more attention than the other, both being by the Polish brothers and beautifully photographed by David Mullen. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's because "Northfork" succeeds as fully realized film, where as "Twin Falls Idaho" is lacking in a few aspects.

However, my point is that I was SO impressed with Mr. Mullen's photography in "Twin Falls Idaho" (as much as, if not more than "Northfork.") I found myself pausing the DVD to study some of his frames and wondering how he achieved such a unique look throughout. My favorite scene was when Blake and Francis are lying in the hospital bed when Francis is sick, and Penny is talking to Blake. There is this beautiful Kino (I think?) eye light at the top of his eyes and it looks as if he's seeing the "light at the end of the tunnel". Coupled by a wonderful performance by Mark Polish, this shot is extremely moving and affective. Congratulations Mr. Mullen on achieving such beautiful cinematography and contributing so much to the readers of this forum.

-Andrew

• Premium Member

...I saw this film during its theatrical run in 1999. I remember a cold atmosphere filled with lots of contemplative moments. It reminded me of the Elephant Man (one of my favorite films).

I recommend it.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, the hospital bed was lit by a 4'4-bank Kino with daylight tubes (K55) on tungsten stock (Fuji F-500T).

?

You shot this film how many years ago?

I guess it leads me into the question: Do you make it a habit of documenting lighting set ups for future reference or do you just have an uncanny memory?

• Premium Member

I shot it in the summer of 1998.

I just remember a lot of details about things I've shot. If I showed "Twin Falls Idaho" to some students, I could probably tell them how every shot was lit, more or less (not 100% but the general details would be correct -- types of lighting units, film stock, etc.) Maybe I'd forget whether I had a 4K or a 6K HMI PAR outside of a window, but other scenes I'd remember exactly what I did.