'What Have You Done?'

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes camcorders go fuzzy in dark situations, yet that hasn't hapened here. I'm not sure of whether this is down to the fact the sensors in the Varicam will be miles better that anything common muck like me has ever seen or whether you used some post production technique such as frame averaging, please could you shed some light (n0 r1y crapp3y pun 1nt3nd3d) on this situation.

HEHE *HIC&HIC*

This is a common mis-understanding amateurs make in film. Dark scenes are not necessarily, dark.

I just shot a film that included a very dark scene, yet it had 3x red heads lights on it. (2400watts of power)

When you walk into your living room, you think it's lit fairly bright. Ok. Now setup a single 800watt studio light in it and you will realise how dark it is.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Ah, video's really not my forte, I spend about two years plus looking at camcorders, in reality I learnt little more than model numbers and what an optical zoom was, I'll be glad to learn some more.

-Me

As for Phil Rhodes, I'm sorry if I offended you that time, I really don't tolerate people who live to crush other people's dreams, no matter how hard they are to achieve.

As for Phil Rhodes, I'm sorry if I offended you that time, I really don't tolerate people who live to crush other people's dreams, no matter how hard they are to achieve.

No you're not sorry. Why even say that when you continue to make childish posts throughout the forum? I'm young enough that I was posting on the internet at your age, but I never sunk so low as you. If I were you, I'd grow up, or get out. This is a forum for people who want to be taken seriously and ask serious questions. It isn't a comedy forum. Your confusing/misleading questions lower the forum as a whole IMHO.

Right, let me get this straight.

I HAVE been trying to get rid of the comedy, OK, sometimes I've slipped, I am only human. If you would care to look in the Super 8 section there are several lengthly posts helping newbies. Admittedly I have been childish, I haven't meant any harm, and if you want me to get rid of the comedy I will.

Sorry. :(

I have an adenda to what I just wrote.

*AHEM*

A few months ago I was a disaster, incredibly depressed and making threads like ''How to get into the ASC the easy way''. When my life started becoming slightly less of an abandoned poop mine, I started to realise the stupidity of my ways, I have been cutting down on the n00bishness, but as I'm only human I'm bound to slip, now I really don't see anything wrong with inserts of humour into my posts, I feel some people here need a bit of a cheer up (myself included), and there not really doing anyone any harm. If you rly rly RLY want me to stop I will.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tim Partridge
"This is the Original Promo for this track, which was only used for a short time.

Apparently, it wasn't good enough.

The Record label refused to pay for it, so the crew didn't get a penny"

:huh: :blink: ???????!!!!!!!!!

Eh??!!

I really, absolutely cannot fathom what is "good enough" and worth paying for if this isn't it. Production values are Hollywood A-league standard and the concept is about as cinematic as you can get-

I searched YOUTUBE and found this- I take it this isn't you guys, Stuart?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbAPt30K9Yg

It's competently generic, but it's not really the same, is it? Feedback replies on youtube suggest many of the fans were let down by the song- is this the music video industry's equivalent of rejecting a film score at the last minute?

I'm not sure what happened to it exactly. The label apparently approved the cut, authorised Master tapes to be made, and took delivery. They posted it on the band's website, where it was watched about 70,000 times. The band themselves posted on their website how happy they were with it.

Suddenly the label claims it's not up to scratch and refuses to pay up. Two days later they have another video for the same track. Very fishy.

All I know is that their non-payment drove the production company to the brink of bankruptcy, and meant that no-one got paid for their work.

Scum.

Anyone out there looking to break into shooting promos should remember this. It's by no means an isolated incident.

:angry:

All I know is that their non-payment drove the production company to the brink of bankruptcy, and meant that no-one got paid for their work.

Scum.

Anyone out there looking to break into shooting promos should remember this. It's by no means an isolated incident.

:angry:

Ah this sort of thing makes my blood boil, crew get exploited enough without being ripped off completely.

The production company should have been more careful with its contract.

Great looking video by the way, the editing and cutting was a little exhausting perhaps. Those flares in the theatre worked brilliantly.

Was that theatre the Clapham Grand by any chance?

What a shame. :(

That's one of the most beautiful pieces of cinematography I've ever seen in my life. So much work from so many dedicated individuals. A fantastic video that people loved...and they gave the most pathetic, half-arsed excuse they could give, and magically came up with another video in JUST TWO DAYS!!!!!

Those fu**ing cunts.

Stuart, is there anyway you could perhaps sue them?

The production company should have been more careful with its contract.

Great looking video by the way, the editing and cutting was a little exhausting perhaps. Those flares in the theatre worked brilliantly.

Was that theatre the Clapham Grand by any chance?

The contract was a standard promo contract. The Record label didn't have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately lawyers aren't cheap, and the producer just didn't have the money to sue. It's a sad fact that in these situations, it's the person with the most money that wins, not the person in the right.

The edit is a little frantic - the first cut was much better! The label knows best, apparently.

The club was Koko in Camden (the Camden Palace for anyone over the age of 30) ;)

There was a 4k HMI on the floor behind her in the wide shots of the stage (which I replaced with 2kw tungsten unit with CTB on for the CUs), so a certain amount of the flare is real. The 'anamorphic' flares and the red flares in her CUs were added in post (Knoll Light Factory, I think)

• Premium Member
I've just got some screengrabs from a promo I shot just before Christmas. It was quite a big deal - 3 day shoot, with big sets and locations, as well as a lot of CGI.

Shot on Varicam (a first for me).

pic1.jpg

pic8.jpg

I bit my tongue on these images because they are beautiful, but, these images are about A SINGER, you can't cut off the mouth and put the jaw so low in the frame. Well, I guess you can if YOU want, but I doubt that's what the client wanted. Any movement the singer makes either up or down, which I think the singer is going to do since they are singing, and you've either just lost the lower impact of the singer's jaw, or, if you try and reframe to save the bottom, you've really cut off the top off way too much.

Not only that, lets not even for a moment consider that somebody in post may want to put text near the bottom of the frame saying who the person is, there is absolutely no room.

Beautifully lit - A, framing, C minus at best.

Matthew,

The lamps were not gelled. The camera was white-balanced for 2700k, which makes tungsten look cold.

Alessandro,

Are you suggesting that CU's should not be used in music videos? Or that the talent should be made to stand still? Sit down and watch MTV for an hour or so, and you will see framings like this all the time. Obviously, in a tight close-up on a moving subject the framing will not be perfect all the time, but why should it be? Angles and framings that would be considered 'wrong' in drama are par for the course in music videos.

Personally, I see nothing unusual with either frame....

Here's another one for you.

pic9.jpg

The lamps were not gelled. The camera was white-balanced for 2700k, which makes tungsten look cold.

Ah, right, I'll remember that.

Now let's get this thread back on track.

Stuart, I thought the smoke and the laser lights were a perfect touch. That shot near the stagewith the woman gulping down Champagne just gives the beginning of the video a wonderful night club feel. Fantastic.

P.S. Stuart, I'm sorry I called you a worm. It was totally uncalled for. I just felt a little degected at the fact that my attempts to redirect this thread to it's original purpose went without acknowledgement.

Loved the video. :)