what would you do if you where me?

hallo there, i am a new member here, i ve been on a lotta cinema forums but this one seems to be the best for me

first of all let me introduce myself, my name is bouba dola, i live in the netherlands and i was wondering what should i do best, i am actually thinking about getting next schoolyear into a film school here in the netherlands or move out too a bigger land and get there into the filmschool (like new york or la, sumwhere in the us) i actually already can use final cut pro, been working on it since final cut 2, and since i was a kid i've been messing around with cams, nowadays i can shoot on every cam without any problem,

i dont know if i am gonna learn new stuff too use, but i would like too expand my technique, do i really need 2 get too a school to do that or am i better off too stay how i am and learn through experiences, and people in the film world

this is my last video i made so u can see what i am talking about

http://advancemotionpictures.com/Quicktime/2.mp4

hallo there, i am a new member here, i ve been on a lotta cinema forums but this one seems to be the best for me

first of all let me introduce myself, my name is bouba dola, i live in the netherlands and i was wondering what should i do best, i am actually thinking about getting next schoolyear into a film school here in the netherlands or move out too a bigger land and get there into the filmschool (like new york or la, sumwhere in the us) i actually already can use final cut pro, been working on it since final cut 2, and since i was a kid i've been messing around with cams, nowadays i can shoot on every cam without any problem,

i dont know if i am gonna learn new stuff too use, but i would like too expand my technique, do i really need 2 get too a school to do that or am i better off too stay how i am and learn through experiences, and people in the film world

this is my last video i made so u can see what i am talking about

http://advancemotionpictures.com/Quicktime/2.mp4

It's an interesting question. There are certainly jailhouse lawyers, for example, who never went

to law school but devoured law books and can write motions and appeals than many lawyers

who made the Law Review.

Should you stay in school? With the advanced technology of Final Cut Pro, you're already doing

more than an old school film school graduate who had a flatbed and your use of split screens

shows that you know how to use the technology.

With Mini-DV, Final Cut Pro, lower production costs (tape vs. film) and correction in post, there

are many more ways now to make "films' with video. I think that a good education is important

but maybe a broader liberal arts one will help, as I think that it will help any filmmaker, with a

concentration in art courses, color theory. photography, etc..

In my experience, film school people tend to get to use more higher end tools sooner than

other students and they make connections in film school. If you don't need to schmooze to

get future jobs ad you have enough of a rep. that people will hire you to shoot their music

videos, maybe you can study film but also art, literature, history, philosophy, all of which I

think help filmmakers.

I like your short video. It's well done and certainly seems to do the job that they (the rappers)

would want but it's full of the cliched shots of that genre (which may have been part of the job,

so please don't take offense.) Let's see an original short from you with the style didctated by

your choices and see if that helps determine your need for film school question. Good luck.

Hi,

I'd learn to spell.

Phil

sorry phil i am not american , i speak 5 languages, and if i can;t spell its all about communicating, we are not tryng too wright a book here, but thanks for the idea i will think about it.

wow, this threads been run into the ground.

Bouba, if you're already getting a lot of work without a formal education, I don't see any point in going to film school except to get a piece of paper saying you attended a lot of lectures.

Just keep working, research the many techniques of filmmaking, apply them, develop your taste, build a portfolio, and you should be fine.

Phil, I always enjoy your posts because of their biting sarcasm and bitter wit, but I think here you are out of place. This is an international forum, and while English is in many ways the international language, it is to many people a second or third language. Mr. Dola is very earnestly asking for advice, and I think that it is unnecessary to bring up his English skills- how many people do the world over use abbreviations in typing? And it is nothing new, going back to telegram days and, one could argue, back to the shorthand system of the Romans. Speaking in colloquial shorthand is nothing new and should be entirely besides the point here.

• Premium Member

If you planned on going back to film school anyway, I'd see if I could go to school in the country/city where you hope to find work (or will be allowed to work in), because half of the reason to go to film school is to make your first contacts in the industry for getting work.

Does the Dutch language also make no distinction for lowercase and capitals? I think it admirable attempting to communicate in this tricky, erratic, irregularly-spelled tongue, especially when it is a second, third, fourth, or fifth language, but the lack of punctuation and capitalization in the description line of the poster's post is almost certainly abreviated with his knowledge that he is doing so. . .

frankly I've always admired Scandinavian filmmakers why do u feel you need to come to America to learn filmmaking whenyou have such great artists there? if you what to go to NYU or UCLA film school because u plan to work in the US and want to learn a more American style of filmmaking or u admire the films of people who have attended these institutions, then I would say go ahead and apply but Europe has an increadible film legacy and I would take advantage of that the American way is not the only way to make films and thank God for that, because who would WE get inspiration from if ours was the only way to do it B)

Bouba,

I have a simple way of making these types of complex decisions, and it is the pro and con list - in the case of you moving to America to pursue a career in film, it would look something like this:

Pro:

American girls dig guys with foreign accents.

Since you are a single guy, you could take up one of those "living room couch" ads on Craigslist.

People would hire you because you are something new and different.

You would get invited to a lot of parties.

You could make money setting up trips to Amsterdam with yourself as a tour guide.

Con:

You would have to throw out all of your clothes and buy a bunch of plastic pants.

You get a traffic ticket for smoking marijuana in the States.

Some producer would inevitably nickname you "Boubala."

It is really hard to get laid on a regular basis when you sleep on a living room couch.

Anyway, that is just a start - best of luck)

bouba dola,

Hi, look if you need to speak with someone, one of my friends and partner in a production company was one of my classmates at AFI he was in the directing program and I was in the DP program. Anyway he is in the Netherlands now for a couple more days working on something. If you want to speak with him let me know and I will try to get in touch with him and shoot him a call..

my email is miguel.bunster@gmail.com

ps: it always fascinates me how people give importance to things that are not and create a meaning out of it...."u" that?s fine, and funny enough English is not my native or first language and I got everything you said.

best

Miguel

Bouba,

I have a simple way of making these types of complex decisions, and it is the pro and con list - in the case of you moving to America to pursue a career in film, it would look something like this:

Pro:

American girls dig guys with foreign accents.

Since you are a single guy, you could take up one of those "living room couch" ads on Craigslist.

People would hire you because you are something new and different.

You would get invited to a lot of parties.

You could make money setting up trips to Amsterdam with yourself as a tour guide.

Con:

You would have to throw out all of your clothes and buy a bunch of plastic pants.

You get a traffic ticket for smoking marijuana in the States.

Some producer would inevitably nickname you "Boubala."

It is really hard to get laid on a regular basis when you sleep on a living room couch.

Anyway, that is just a start - best of luck)

i was wondering, if i would like too go pro, could i make it in somewhere between 5years hardworking,

i am really thinking about living everything behind and give myself a shot