How do you think they lit this?

Not totally sure because I wasn't there or even involved in the post. But my guess... hard side light for wide shots were artist or dancer is against the back drop. Close ups for DJ Paul, hard 3/4 to more of a side back light both sides, and a kino underneath or above camera for eye and teeth light, possibly diffused and ND'ed so it has low output and only reflective quality. Bow Wow looks a lot more soft lit with mb med diffusion 4x4 frames on the backlights and same keno eye-light. Dancing inserts have a hard top light. Inserts of xzibit among others look like 3/4 key light with 4x4 frame of heavy diffusion, hard back light, and keno under light w/ Heavy diffusion. Project Pat and Juicy J same light as bow wow w/ 2 soft side lights and keno under the camera fill and eye-light. Shot on 3 perf super 35mm transfered and timed on a Davinci and then to Digibeta. Probably timed that way on the original transfer due to the little coverage in the video. But still could be a tape to tape color correction. A lot of the look is created in color correction. I'm sure you wouldn't be impressed by the low contrast neg and it was probably lit farely flat for performer except DJ Paul. I mean Bow Wow's contrast in the face is fairly low con but snaps around the eyes and the hat.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

Not totally sure because I wasn't there or even involved in the post. But my guess... hard side light for wide shots were artist or dancer is against the back drop. Close ups for DJ Paul, hard 3/4 to more of a side back light both sides, and a kino underneath or above camera for eye and teeth light, possibly diffused and ND'ed so it has low output and only reflective quality. Bow Wow looks a lot more soft lit with mb med diffusion 4x4 frames on the backlights and same keno eye-light. Dancing inserts have a hard top light. Inserts of xzibit among others look like 3/4 key light with 4x4 frame of heavy diffusion, hard back light, and keno under light w/ Heavy diffusion. Project Pat and Juicy J same light as bow wow w/ 2 soft side lights and keno under the camera fill and eye-light. Shot on 3 perf super 35mm transfered and timed on a Davinci and then to Digibeta. Probably timed that way on the original transfer due to the little coverage in the video. But still could be a tape to tape color correction. A lot of the look is created in color correction. I'm sure you wouldn't be impressed by the low contrast neg and it was probably lit farely flat for performer except DJ Paul. I mean Bow Wow's contrast in the face is fairly low con but snaps around the eyes and the hat.

Wow, that's quite an analysis. I'm don't know half the terms you used, so I'll try to make an learning experience out of this. What is a 3/4 key? What does "mb" medium diffusion mean? 4X4 frame means 4' by 4' square to hold the diffusion material?

J

• Premium Member

Chayse sounds right on. The thing that comes into play here is the reflective qualities of dark and, in this case, very dark, skin. The darker an actor's skin is the more you must think in terms of bouncing light off of their skin and into the camera rather than just shining light on it.

Wow, that's quite an analysis. I'm don't know half the terms you used, so I'll try to make an learning experience out of this. What is a 3/4 key? What does "mb" medium diffusion mean? 4X4 frame means 4' by 4' square to hold the diffusion material?

J

3/4 is 3/4 of the way behind an actor. Think 4-5 or 7-8 o'clock when the actor is facing 12 o'clock. Spot on with the frame. Medium diffusion could be any of several diffusion types in a half strength like 251, half white diffusion or tracing paper.

so dont mind the music, just go ahead and turn down the volume

i know this is a lighting forum and all, but if you do that you miss out on a really (really) great beat. i just had to get on he floor for some six stepping before i could watch the rest. :-) if there was only a way to turn off the rappers only.

/matt

i know this is a lighting forum and all, but if you do that you miss out on a really (really) great beat. i just had to get on he floor for some six stepping before i could watch the rest. :-) if there was only a way to turn off the rappers only.

/matt

oh trust me, i like the song. haha, i just wouldnt think the majority of the people on this forum would. but thanks for the insight, i just had no idea how they got that kind of neg. fill.