NFL Films Was Here...

super8film

My broadcast engineering duties had me at the Chiefs vs. Colts wild card game on Saturday, and while walking the field after the game, I noticed a small remnant on the sideline which was a sure sign that NFL Films had been present...

c22.jpg

For the record, that particular scrap was 7218 (Vision2 500T), although I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot a variety of stocks at any given game. Also, I was curious as to whether they used any special filters under artificial stadium light, however none of the 16mm cameras I spotted on the sidelines during pre-game appeared to be outfitted with filters.

If there's anyone associated with NFL Films lurking about, give yourself a big pat on the back...you all do excellent work!

• Premium Member

There was a great interview on Kodak's "Exposed" promotional DVD about NFL Films and their history and love of film. They believe that NFL Football is the most filmed thing since World War II.

I've seen some of those films in high def, and they are amazing... especially the ever-present slow motion shots.

There was a great interview on Kodak's "Exposed" promotional DVD about NFL Films and their history and love of film. They believe that NFL Football is the most filmed thing since World War II.

I've seen some of those films in high def, and they are amazing... especially the ever-present slow motion shots.

Do they shoot all the play off games or just a few. I was wondering this as I watched (from a couch) my beloved Patriots march all over the Jets Sunday

Chris

Excellent photo, by the way! You should send it to NFL Films, they'd probably appreciate it.

Thanks. It can be difficult to get artsy with a small point and shoot digital camera, but I did my best to get a decent photo. I think my Canon's macro function did a decent job.

Do they shoot all the play off games or just a few. I was wondering this as I watched (from a couch) my beloved Patriots march all over the Jets Sunday.

I believe NFL Films covers all regular season and post-season games. My understanding is that the size of the NFL Films crew at a game increases as the significance of the game increases. For example, first round playoffs likely have a larger crew than a regular season game, second round playoff games likely have a larger crew than a first round game, and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

Living in Australia, I admit that I have never seen any of NFL Films' work but I think that this is a truly great idea - shooting sporting games on film for a high quality 'look.' Of course utilising film for sporting events was once so common in the 70s, 60s and earlier, until video dominated in the 1980s. Shooting sport on film in the old days was taken for granted because it was the norm. I see that NFL Films' use of the medium in this day and age is creating a very special product. I wish there was something similar happening in Australia. Whenever I see film footage of sports from the old days, I'm used to seeing the grain and the vintage colours - though with NFL Films, it will be interesting see the use of modern film stocks for this application.

• Premium Member
My broadcast engineering duties had me at the Chiefs vs. Colts wild card game on Saturday, and while walking the field after the game, I noticed a small remnant on the sideline which was a sure sign that NFL Films had been present...

c22.jpg

For the record, that particular scrap was 7218 (Vision2 500T), although I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot a variety of stocks at any given game. Also, I was curious as to whether they used any special filters under artificial stadium light, however none of the 16mm cameras I spotted on the sidelines during pre-game appeared to be outfitted with filters.

If there's anyone associated with NFL Films lurking about, give yourself a big pat on the back...you all do excellent work!

Did you have a compunction to dive on the film like it was a fumble to save it from the light?

Wait, wait, I have another, If you take a picture of a strip of NFL films, are you violating their copyright because you are reproducing NFL footage?

Cinematography.com, bringing you the views from all the cool venues.

1- This month (Feb. 07) there is a segment on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel about NFL Films and its creator Ed Sabol.

2- "NFL Films has made the National Football League the second-most documented subject on film behind World War II."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/26/...ain595946.shtml

What beautiful, inspiring, and well written article.

I'm pretty sure I saw an Arriflex SR as well.

I'm watching the superbowl right now, and I just saw a camera op holding an Aaton, looks like an XTR, but yeah that made me smile and reminded me of this topic. Anyone else spot any 16mm?

I'm pretty sure I saw an Arriflex SR as well.