Line feed.

• Premium Member

I am throwing together my new (when I say new I really mean old, used and ragged-ass) generator rig. I still have to make a decision about the feed lines for it. It can kick out about 150+ amps on each of 3 legs. I'm leaning towards 4/0 welding cable to keep voltage loss down over long runs. I know that welding wire is a big no-go in LA. Other than that, what do you think of it for line feeds?

Any specific reason why you are choosing welding wire? Do you already have it, or can you get it cheap? Type SC or W in size 2 would be fine for that current. How many feet do you plan on running? Maybe go with 2/0 for the first hundred or two hundred feet and then #2 banded from the first distro box. Would renting the feeders as needed be practical? Copper is expensive right now and shows no signs of dropping.

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you'll excuse the distraction from the original question, I'm quite surprised by this sort of issue. In the UK, there'd be a standard requirement for the type of cable and connectors used (16, 32, 63, or 125 amp single or three phase on a ceeform connector and that'd be that. It's not like you'd have a choice, really, other than between a few manufacturers of standards-conforming cable. Is there no standard disrtribution system like this in the US?

Phil

• Premium Member

Hey Phil,

Yea, there are standards in NY and LA and everywhere else in the US where serious production occurs. There, specific cable called, generally, entertainment cable is often used. I, however live in BFE America where there are few if any codes or standards concerning production wiring. We wire, roughly, the same way travelling carnivals wire- with welding cable. There are some good reasons for welding wire. It can be repaired since it is not bundled, but individual. That's more practical than bundled wire that gets crushed and worn down within the outer insulation and you can't find the shorts easily. The insulation is thick and rubbery, designed to withstand being dragged around rough surfaces and construction sites. Also, individual wires can be strung in various combinations which means you can run three short runs from each of the genny's legs or one long run from only one leg and load bank the other two. As well, welding wire is highly flexable with flex-durable strands so it doesn't shred inside from repeated laying and heavy handedness. Bigger diameter cores in welding wire means longer runs with lower voltage drop. That's handy given the noise that even a blimped genny puts out. The small strands configuration of high quality copper in welding wire has lower resistance than non-flex copper and thereby reduces resistance over long runs. Lastly, it's easier to get your hands on locally.

Hey Phil,

Yea, there are standards in NY and LA and everywhere else in the US where serious production occurs. There, specific cable called, generally, entertainment cable is often used. I, however live in BFE America where there are few if any codes or standards concerning production wiring. copper and thereby reduces resistance over long runs. Lastly, it's easier to get your hands on locally.

Sounds like you're evolving your own low-budget alternative, just go ahead and do it...you don't need approval from anyone except local agencies, if they are even interested...

Edited by Robert Aldrich