Blur

How does one get 'motion blurr' while shooting film similar to what one can get using the dvcamera like PD150 when shutter is set at lower speed or in still cameras.

Think 'Trauma' shot by John Mathieson, had similar effect.

Anyone around here who can throw some light on the techniques used in blurring the moving images shot on film.

Cheers!

• Premium Member
How does one get 'motion blurr' while shooting film similar to what one can get using the dvcamera like PD150 when shutter is set at lower speed or in still cameras.

It's called the poor man's step printing: Shoot at low fps ie:4-6fps and transfer at 24fps. Then in the edit you slow down the clip (approx. 25%) so the motion speed is normal but the blur is there.

• Premium Member

The traditional way was to use an optical printer. You would shoot film at , say, 6fps. Then with the printer you would pick 6 continous frames and duplicate them 4x each; bringing you back to 24fps.

If you were going to a release print with no Digital Intermediate then you would need to go this route.

Now a days, for release print you could just do the work in the DI. Or if just going straight to DVD you would shoot at 6fps; transfer at 24fps; then slow down the shot approx. 25% on the timeline in your edit so the action feels like 24fps but now contains blur.

Experimentation with shutter angle and frame rate will effect the severity of the look as well.

Cheers!

Hi!

im just gonna tell my experience with my K3 trying to obtain the effect you want.

when i wanna have footage with big amount of motion blur i shoot at 3-6 fps, F 1.9, and i adjust the exposure using ND filters. the telecine at 18fps, not all telecines could do that so ask youre telecine operator before, and then in FCP slow down speed to 33%.

hope it helps!

bye!!