streaking camera

Dave Plake

• Premium Member

Do you mean the desychronizing of the shutter with the pull dowm mechanism which results in highlights streaking vertically because the film gets moved while the shutter is still open?

It used to be that you had to mechanically change the shutter-pull down sync, but with the advent of electronic shutters this can be done very easily, with the touch of a few buttons.

• Premium Member
Do you mean the desychronizing of the shutter with the pull dowm mechanism which results in highlights streaking vertically because the film gets moved while the shutter is still open?

It used to be that you had to mechanically change the shutter-pull down sync, but with the advent of electronic shutters this can be done very easily, with the touch of a few buttons.

I believe that the Whole image streaks vertically in the above situation, not only the highlights.

Bernie

• Premium Member

It depends on the amout of desynchronisation that you introduce, but in general the highlights streak more, simply because there is more light (i.e. exposure) in those areas. You can see this clearly in films like 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'Saving Private Ryan'.

• Premium Member
It depends on the amout of desynchronisation that you introduce, but in general the highlights streak more, simply because there is more light (i.e. exposure) in those areas. You can see this clearly in films like 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'Saving Private Ryan'.

I'm speaking of maximum desynchronisation. In that case, even though the highlights would seem to streak more, wouldn't the complete image streak?

I believe that in the films you mentioned partial desynchronisation was the case.

Bernie

• Premium Member

Even if you removed the shutter, since the film starts and stops in the gate, it doesn't run through continuously, you'd get a pretty horribly streaked image but there would be a faint steady image buried in all of that smearing probably. Not sure what the use of such an image is.

• Premium Member
I haven't tried this, but logically speaking the brighter parts of the image streak more than the darker parts, no matter what the desychncronization.

I think this is always the case. See the movie "Zelig." There are some shots at the cottage where leonard is sitting at a white lawn table outdoors. The bright white of the table streaks wildly but the rest of the image (mostly in open shadow) stays quite sharp.

I haven't tried this, but logically speaking the brighter parts of the image streak more than the darker parts, no matter what the desychncronization.

I am shooting a dreamlike runway show. Dreamlike in that things fall off to black and it isn't a "real"runway show...but kinda along the lines of the V-Secret show. I was interested in the streaking but not if the whole image is streaking...kinda useless...but if just highlights were then I think this would be an interesting look. Are there any more examples wher I can see how this actually looks so I can decide if it's something I'd like to pursue?

Thanks!

Even if you removed the shutter, since the film starts and stops in the gate, it doesn't run through continuously, you'd get a pretty horribly streaked image but there would be a faint steady image buried in all of that smearing probably. Not sure what the use of such an image is.

Has anybody tried this? It might be useful where you wanted to indicate that reality is subjective, perhaps in a story with existential or post-modern themes, or during a drug sequence.

I am shooting a dreamlike runway show. Dreamlike in that things fall off to black and it isn't a "real"runway show...but kinda along the lines of the V-Secret show. I was interested in the streaking but not if the whole image is streaking...kinda useless...but if just highlights were then I think this would be an interesting look. Are there any more examples wher I can see how this actually looks so I can decide if it's something I'd like to pursue?

Thanks!

Hi!

the fx of shutterless camera you can see in Bullet in a Bible, the live dvd of green day. it see really good, in this case the editor use this camera footage as transitions or cut aways.

as an experimental filmmaker i never try to do something like youre asking in camera. as a postproducer, the job i always do, i told you that obtaining this fx in post is possible, you will need some hours to try the best look and some renders.

in my point of view, the in camera fx always looke better.

bye!

Treegan

Thanks!

I dunno, if you just want some general highlight streaking and want a fairly stable look, you can probably do that best with filtration. Maybe even trying some home-made custom ones? You can test this with some cheaper clear plastics and either streaking it with your fingers' oils or lightly scratching the surface in particular patterns.