Chinon's X12 ZOOM Cameras

Matthew Buick

My search for a quieter alternative to my Sankyo CME 1100 has led me to the Chinon Pacific 12 SMR and Chinon Pacific 200/XL12.

What can you tell me about both these cameras? How good are the lenses? Are they fast? Do these cameras have plenty of manual overides? How quiet are they? That sort of thing.

If anyone has either of these for sale in TOTALLY MINT condition please send me a PM, I will consider either, and maybe even buy both if I can afford them.

Best regards,

Matthew Buick's evil twin.

MUAH HA HAH.

• Premium Member
These cameras are full of tricks and manual override but the lens is not the sharpest. I've not tested any Pacific 200/12XL only the200/8XL.

I used Chinon a long time ago for single frame work. I liked it. I seem to recall that at least some of their cameras are very quiet. I recall the bigger zoom lens as being slightly wider and boxier. One flaw if I am remembering correctly is that for a such a bulky camera the handle does not fold up for a more stable mount on a tripod. But then again I did use the camera for stop motion work and it worked out fine.

If the camera lens is soft, that's probably more a product of having the f-stop completely wide open. I think I know someone with a Chinon camera, maybe it is the Pacific model.

How good is that camera in low light? And is the lens THAT bad, or is it an acceptable grade?

Hi Mattew!

ive been shooting in super 8 since i was 8, im 29 right now so i have some experience.

if you have plans to buy a super 8 camera dont buy a chinon.

the lens is not bad, but not good enough for sharp image. most of chinon models only run at 18fps and single frame. chinon are good cameras for family trips, his autofocus system, the models that have it, is amazing and work spectacular!

if you want a pro camera search for canon 814/1014, beaulieu 2008/4008

even russian quartz is better than chinon.

this are some of my personal cameras and run like a ferrari

bye!!

Treegan

Edited by General Treegan

I'm trying to find a replacement for my Sankyo CME 1100, what I want is a camera with:

-Sharp, fast lenses,

-the ability to be crystal sync'd,

-can take a 200ft mag,

-is extremely quiet.

And all the obvious features (24fps, manual exposure overide) stuff like that.

I'm trying to find a replacement for my Sankyo CME 1100, what I want is a camera with:

-Sharp, fast lenses,

-the ability to be crystal sync'd,

-can take a 200ft mag,

-is extremely quiet.

And all the obvious features (24fps, manual exposure overide) stuff like that.

I find my Nizos to be the most quiet cameras ever built 4056,4080,6080. They have sharp lenses, and all 60XX series take 200ft, whatever that is good for now. Be careful about non working lightmeters though!!

I don't know about the crystal sync for anyone but the Beaulieu. Beaulieu 6008 takes 200ft, but is NOT very quiet.

/Stig

What about the Elmo 1012XL-S? I totally forgot about that camera.

look for some like this

http://www.cameraspro.com/beaulieu8.html

beaulieu 5008 and 6008 are the best choices i think. cristal sync is optional. about 200ft mags i dont know if its still vailable super 8 film in 200ft.

bye!

Treegan

http://pro8mm.com/main.php

pro8mm is a place in Burbank ( Los Angeles) which is a lab, post house, and they sell these cameras they remanufacture which are great. Their "pro8mm" camera has crystal sync, c-mount (for other lenses), comes with an Angenieux (shower glass probably, but an angenieux nonetheless), durable as hell. A friend of mine had one before he got an Éclair NPR, but he had it converted to MAX 8mm which is like a supersuper8. If you're willing to reach into your wallet for a lifetime investment, then get this, and forget about old Japanese disasters.

Or start shooting 16mm. Another personal suggestion.

Ok, sorry. That was rather uncalled for, what I meant was 'you don't need all that overpriced Pro8mm crap to get a decent image from a Super 8 frame'.

Youre right, but with an interchangeable C-mount lens, it's great. It takes a hobbyist format and turns it into a more professional level of filming. Trust me this is all based on personal experience with this stuff. Also registration on those home movie cameras is sub-par, one lens only sucks, and you get a professional grade camera.

you spend the same amount as if you were to buy a new crummy camera every x amount of months.