Pale Flesh tones

Guest Chris Grosso

Guest Chris Grosso

I've noticed that the SDX900 that we bought last year is giving me overly pale flesh tones. Even when I white balance on a light blue and use an 812 warming filter. Can anyone suggest what settings to look at/adjust for a warmer flesh tone?

I've noticed that the SDX900 that we bought last year is giving me overly pale flesh tones. Even when I white balance on a light blue and use an 812 warming filter. Can anyone suggest what settings to look at/adjust for a warmer flesh tone?

All i can think of if youre balacing on 1/4 blue and using a warming filter already is you're overexposing the faces thus losing colour.

either the balance or the warming filter alone should fix this. Is it pale in your viewfinder or just on output?

• Premium Member

Could it possibly be a color management problem involving color space. I would think that

there must be a Panasonic color profile that would allow for proper "skin" color management.

Could the problem possibly be that of a digital color cast?

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Perhaps the red channel is being desaturated for some reason. If the camera has the color space matrix preset called REC 709 or ITU-709, then try that -- it has somewhat boosted red chroma. Anyway, try any different color matrix presets first and if that doesn't work, try working on the red channel individually, assuming the camera allows that type of Color Matrix controls.

"Pale" also suggests that you may be exposing the faces too brightly.

you wouldn't be white balancing with the warming filter on the camera would you?

How about your monitor set up!

A. Is your monitor set up to your cameras color bars.

B. Is your input into your monitor BNC connected to the in, and not the out. If this happens and it does you will get a horrible pale flat washed out picture, where if it is correct and put to the in on the monitor, the picture looks true to what the camera and matrix is recording (if the camera and the monitor are set up to the color bars)

C. Is your monitor terminated

D. You may have a bad capacitor ( leaky cap) and this could be on one of you cameras internal boards, it has happened to a few SDX900 that I know of (rental house cameras, older ones)

• 2 months later...
Guest Chris Grosso

Fixed by taking it to Macie Video.....best investment for this camera is to have it set up properly...Macie is hte best.

How about your monitor set up!

A. Is your monitor set up to your cameras color bars.

B. Is your input into your monitor BNC connected to the in, and not the out. If this happens and it does you will get a horrible pale flat washed out picture, where if it is correct and put to the in on the monitor, the picture looks true to what the camera and matrix is recording (if the camera and the monitor are set up to the color bars)

C. Is your monitor terminated

D. You may have a bad capacitor ( leaky cap) and this could be on one of you cameras internal boards, it has happened to a few SDX900 that I know of (rental house cameras, older ones)