Is XL-2 Worth It?

Michael Hydzik

Ok, I do a ton of short film work. I've wanted to upgrade my camera for a while but I never got around to it. I want something with good cinematic control, 24 frame and 16:9 recording. I have heard that the XL-2 should do this but now I want to know if its worth buying? (also if it is good for chroma key sets?)

• Premium Member

The limitations of chromakeying are more due to the nature of a 4:1:1 DV recording, not the particular DV camera.

Yes, the NTSC Canon XL2 does 24P-to-60i/480, just like the Panasonic DVX100B.

It does 16x9 anamorphic better than the DVX100B because of its CCD design -- not really 16x9 in shape, but it uses a wider portion of a 4x3 CCD for 16x9 and a less-wide but taller-than-16x9 portion of the 4x3 CCD for 4x3 -- imagine a cross-shape formed by the 16x9 and 4x3 frames when overlaid, both extracted from inside of a bigger 4x3 CCD area.

This means that the 4x3 and 16x9 recordings created are of equal quality because they used the same number of photosites on the CCD, rather than crop & stretch the 4x3 capture to create a 16x9 recording.

• Premium Member

What software you use to key with really helps, I was able to make a bad chroma lighting setup work with After Effects (both bg and fg was shot with an XL2):

th_GreenScreenDriving.jpg

With better lighting you could definitely have XL2 keys that look better than this.

• Premium Member

The XL2 is a great camera. It can do chroma key well too. Today it's more about the abilities in post that help make for better chromakeys than just the camera. FCP for instance has 4:1:1 color smoother. ANd you could resample video as 4:2:2 making even difficult keys easier to deal with. ANd beyond that After Effects has a great keying subroutine. ANd you can purchase other plug ins that will make keying the lesser formats much easier. The key to good chromakey is to know your post production better than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...