M. David Mullen & The Astronaut Farmer in AC

Tim Carroll

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations David! :)

I had a look at the Hi def trailer and read some of the comments and yes it is an interesting film stock that was an interpretation artisticly for this film.. The blacks were milky and the film had a washed out and grainy look. Even seemed smoky in parts.. I also noticed in the trailer the camera was stationary a lot. The Film also seemed to have for me a fifties feel?

This was certainly different and gave it an individual look and I reckon adds to the characters performance although to early for me to really say for sure. I will have to see the film.. The Trailer certainly built from nothing into a feel good wanna see film.. And Billy bob Thorntons performance seemed oscar winning a great cast choice. I have a feeling the film has been enhanced by your contribution but Will have to see it first!

Hope this film doesn't get overlooked.

Oh...my...god!!!

David Mullen...that was easily the most incredible piece of cinematography I have ever witnessed!!!

I'm am...going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Matthew Buick

• Premium Member

I don't know how anyone is going to judge the film grain level by viewing a trailer online, even in 1080P, but the movie is not particularly grainy since I shot it in 35mm anamorphic and rated the stocks 2/3's of a stop slower than normal. There were a few underexposed shots that have some visible grain and one or two low-light scenes that had to be pushed one-stop, but that's about it.

The trailer is also on the bright side compared to the movie.

In terms of the blacks, most of the day interior scenes were smoked, and many night scenes had some GlimmerGlass diffusion. It's just part of the aesthetic approach to the movie, which is sort of old American West meets later 1950's NASA technology, slightly nostalgic and romantic like a Norman Rockwell painting.

Matthew, there's uh...there's some brown stuff on your nose there

:lol:

I hope that doesn't mean what I'm getting a sinking feeling that it does.

Jonathan Bowerbank...I am going to kill you, I'm going to stab you, shoot you, stone you and run over you a lot in a steam roller, then I'm going to spread your remains all over a field and grow potatoes there (blood's really good for potatoes, y'know).

I don't know how anyone is going to judge the film grain level by viewing a trailer online, even in 1080P, but the movie is not particularly grainy since I shot it in 35mm anamorphic and rated the stocks 2/3's of a stop slower than normal. There were a few underexposed shots that have some visible grain and one or two low-light scenes that had to be pushed one-stop, but that's about it.

The trailer is also on the bright side compared to the movie.

In terms of the blacks, most of the day interior scenes were smoked, and many night scenes had some GlimmerGlass diffusion. It's just part of the aesthetic approach to the movie, which is sort of old American West meets later 1950's NASA technology, slightly nostalgic and romantic like a Norman Rockwell painting.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/theastronautfarmer/hd/

00.00.25 to 00.00.26 the classroom kids scene there is quite a bit of grain in whatever hi def trailer you look at.. Grain is evident in various clips through out! Perhaps I am just noticing this stuff more.. Although I dont think thats the case. Its funny for me now Grain is quite interesting in film as it adds quite a bit of realism and the way you described it was exactly how I felt about it..

"sort of old American West meets later 1950's NASA technology, slightly nostalgic and romantic like a Norman Rockwell painting"

When I was younger I was mad on the apollo space rockets and had a favourite book your colors reminded me of this.. But also I remember the colours and artwork from that period and you have done what appears to be a great job artisticly. However as I said I would have to see the film!

If the trailer is on the bright side it could be highlighting the grain more?

• Premium Member
I hope that doesn't mean what I'm getting a sinking feeling that it does.

Jonathan Bowerbank...I am going to kill you, I'm going to stab you, shoot you, stone you and run over you a lot in a steam roller, then I'm going to spread your remains all over a field and grow potatoes there (blood's really good for potatoes, y'know).

Hey - why issue such a cretinous statement? - have a think about what you've written!

• Premium Member

I looked at the online trailer and don't see any film grain. I see some scenes are smoked more than others.

That classroom scene was shot on 250D stock rated at 160 ASA in 35mm anamorphic -- it should be fairly fine-grained! On the big screen, yes, of course you will see some grain but not a letterboxed 35mm scope image on a computer Quicktime window.

You might be seeing some electronic noise & compression artifacts that are somehow more evident due to the low-contrast from the smoke.

It's difficult to tell which Matthew needs more, to:

Get a Life!

or to

Get Laid!

Probably both.

-Tim

Why you!!! :angry:

-_-

15 year olds, I'm not surprised it took him so long to catch on to my previous statement ;)

I never thought you that wierd, you make me sick.

Hey - why issue such a cretinous statement? - have a think about what you've written!

NEVER!!! HAHAHAHA...*COUGH**HACK**COUGH*

Matthew,

Stop. Think. For your own sake.

I looked at the online trailer and don't see any film grain. I see some scenes are smoked more than others.

That classroom scene was shot on 250D stock rated at 160 ASA in 35mm anamorphic -- it should be fairly fine-grained! On the big screen, yes, of course you will see some grain but not a letterboxed 35mm scope image on a computer Quicktime window.

You might be seeing some electronic noise & compression artifacts that are somehow more evident due to the low-contrast from the smoke.

This is really pissing me off , whats prob with a bit off grain to start with ??? . gives texture to images , i am afraid most people who post on here have been weaned on crap video tv grainless pics . have no intention of judging anything on a domestic computer screen , will find biggest screen i can find when film is released here , then might have something to say ! John Holland.