wHAT DOES A PROFESSIONAL SHOT LIST LOOK LIKE

bolshevik

Does anyone have a template or a sample of a real shotlist from a professional feature film. I know all the basics cu, mcu, ecu, ws etc...but I'd like to see a sample of something more comprehensive. like how would you abbreviate panning, raking, zooming, or even zollying in a shot list. and also, when youre covering a scene and say your master is shot 1a and maybe you go in for coverage and do a medium single but that medium single shot wouldnt begin until halfway into the master then is it 1aa or 1b? I've looked all over for a "real"shot list and cant find a thing...

• Premium Member

Eh, well each shotlist is different and it basically comes down to what works for you, what allows you to communicate your ideas. Keep in mind that on the set the director will be explaining the shots anyway, so most people just do a little reminder to themselves. It's important not to get hung up with a shotlist, you want to let your actors rehearse first and see how they move naturally, instead of moving them around like chess figures.

Most shot lists I've seen are hastily scribbled on a torn piece of paper that the Director had lying around that morning. For FX days, large showcard or posterboard usually is used with all the storyboards for the day pinned up in order.

But there usually isn't "time" to create anything fancy. Unless there is a special shot to do or the Director is prone to wacky angles, most scenes begin with the standard master then "over over" in two sizes. Obviously dollys and other moves get tossed in there, but on the whole, the basic "shot list" is the same from setup to setup.

• 2 years later...

Usually the 1st AD wants to see a shot list so they can schedule the day's filming.

Completed production example is a bit confusing in that you really don't need to have the cutting indicated, more the overall action and dialogue coverage in each shot during filming.

The second one seems to do cover it, although you could add more columns eg camera movement according to personal taste. It's basically there to communicate with the crew and to ensure you don't forget anything.

• Premium Member

I have an excel spread-sheet which I basically list the type of shot as well as what dialogue it is intended to cover (if any). The master is normally the longest and then close ups are in there as well but just on the lines which have been deemed important so as to keep from covering the whole scene in the master and then also in the closes if we're certain only some lines will be used. Though this is just a rough guideline and as mentioned can change incredibly when you get an actor in a space doing their thing. As mentioned it's normally good to board any major sequences (fights/chases/FXs etc) well in advance. And I just learned what a pleasure a moleskin notebook can be in my pocket. I bought 3 for this current project I'm on. Still just on the first one, but jotting down things as time passes is quite important (and a documentary on 35mm film might be a bit insane...)

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Thought I'd add a message about an awesome app for shot listing that I designed. It's called Shot Lister and is available for the ipad or iphone in the app store. It's the only truly professionally app designed for shot listing. Helps you build, organize, schedule and share shots with a flick of a finger. Hope you find it really useful.

www.shotlister.com

Let me know if you have any questions about it.