Vegas Video

David Chandler

Hello all:

I just picked up a copy of Sony Vegas Video Movie Studio & DVD (Version 7.0 I believe). Is there anyone else here who has used this program for editing? I have used other video and audio editing software in the Vegas/Acid genre dating back to when they were still products of Sonic Foundry. My over all impression of this software is that it has improved on the basic editing functions from versions past as well as the transition effects and texting functions have somewhat changed for the better although they still use some of the effects from previous versions that have a lot to be desired (effects that are somewhat reminiscent of '80's TV studio post-production). The only other problem I might have with this software is that I can't migrate projects from previous versions of Vegas. Other than that, I believe it to be worth the money that I paid ($126 US) until I'm able to afford something better along the lines of Final Cut Pro.

Has anyone else used the Vegas program? How does it compare to Adobe Premiere or After Effects or even Pinnacle software?

Thanks for your input!

David

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all:

I just picked up a copy of Sony Vegas Video Movie Studio & DVD (Version 7.0 I believe). Is there anyone else here who has used this program for editing? I have used other video and audio editing software in the Vegas/Acid genre dating back to when they were still products of Sonic Foundry. My over all impression of this software is that it has improved on the basic editing functions from versions past as well as the transition effects and texting functions have somewhat changed for the better although they still use some of the effects from previous versions that have a lot to be desired (effects that are somewhat reminiscent of '80's TV studio post-production). The only other problem I might have with this software is that I can't migrate projects from previous versions of Vegas. Other than that, I believe it to be worth the money that I paid ($126 US) until I'm able to afford something better along the lines of Final Cut Pro.

Has anyone else used the Vegas program? How does it compare to Adobe Premiere or After Effects or even Pinnacle software?

Thanks for your input!

David

Hi david!

dont use vegas! if youre in pc use avid, avid has a free dv version that works really nice. you can download it from avid webpage.

bye!!

Treegan

• 2 months later...

Sony Vegas 7 is full version. Movie Studio is something like a editing toy for home movie makers.

For a years I'm doing editing in Vegas and only if you didn't try you will not know what Vegas can do. All of our work from year 2002 to now is based on Vegas edit suite and you can see it on our website.

It is not perfect suite for editing just because few thing which Sony probably keeping away from Vegas because of their Xpri system, but don't worry... just try it for some hard job and you will see how easy you can work in it.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Sony Vegas 7 is full version. Movie Studio is something like a editing toy for home movie makers.

For a years I'm doing editing in Vegas and only if you didn't try you will not know what Vegas can do. All of our work from year 2002 to now is based on Vegas edit suite and you can see it on our website.

It is not perfect suite for editing just because few thing which Sony probably keeping away from Vegas because of their Xpri system, but don't worry... just try it for some hard job and you will see how easy you can work in it.

Cheers!

I would have to agree Vegas is a great NLE, and the full version dose allow you to use previous versions projects but you cant take a version 7 veg to version 6.,

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to agree Vegas is a great NLE, and the full version dose allow you to use previous versions projects but you cant take a version 7 veg to version 6.,

Vegas is very intuitive and allows you to be creative and its fun Although its stuck in 8 bit with out the abilty to use an edl for a neg cut.

It's all about the user.

Some people love Final Cut, other can't use any NLE but Premiere, I know as a fact that industry standard is Avid and some other in Indy film making use Final Cut.

Premiere and Final Cut are pretty Similar, Avid is great for long run projects when you have the entire Avid Suite.

Sony Vegas is getting there, it's pretty easy to use.

But everything is in the way you use it.

If you're going to make a 35mm feature movie, you're not going to be able to do it with Vegas, nor Premiere. Final Cut might help you, but the only one that you can use is Avid.

NLE are getting there, Avid is still the king, but new software and new formats are making their way up.

So enjoy vegas, learn all about it, use it, and show what you can do with it.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Cheers!

I just watched your reel, very nice!

• 1 month later...