XL2 Dead after capture in FCP

Cody Bradley

After trying to capture footage from my XL2 with FCP, the camera acts like it has no tape in it. It displays no timecode and wont play back what was recorded on the tape. It wont record anything either. I tried taking tape out and putting it back in but still wouldnt play. Camera is brand new so i dont see what could be wrong with it. I am using the newest version of FCP and everything is updated.

Thanks for any help

After trying to capture footage from my XL2 with FCP, the camera acts like it has no tape in it. It displays no timecode and wont play back what was recorded on the tape. It wont record anything either. I tried taking tape out and putting it back in but still wouldnt play. Camera is brand new so i dont see what could be wrong with it. I am using the newest version of FCP and everything is updated.

Thanks for any help

The first thing I would do is run a head cleaning tape through it. Be sure not to run it longer than five seconds, as it will heat up and fuse the junk that may be on them to the heads.

Also, try a different tape. In the past when this has happened, there was something wrong with the tape itself or something clogging the heads, I had absolutely no time code or video. But usually you only get one of the heads clogged, giving you a striped image, four or five stripes running horizontally.

If the camera was brand new then it should still be under some kind of warranty. (Usually for 1 year)

I'd take it back and get it replaced. But make a big fuss about having to shoot something very soon, otherwise they will just send it off for repair which could take weeks on end.

It only stopped working after I tried to capture with it. Now it wont display a picture when I play back tapes, or record anything. Not even the timecode is displayed. The camera says it is playing but nothing shows up. Also tried other tapes with no success. Seems like a head problem? Could it be the tapes I was using. They are Fuji 60 min tapes.

This may or may not be the case, but I've had a similar situation happen to me.

The culprit was the little watch type battery that is housed in the zoom handle died. I was rolling and timecode was rolling on the monitor and everything seemed okay, but when it came time to capture the footage - nothing was on the tape!

Unfortunately, everything had to be re-shot. I surely hope this isn't the same in your case, as it was quite the problem for me!

Hope this is of some assistance.

~Jon