35mm adapter and H1, what for???

Greg Kowal

ok i`m new to all this cinematography, i only have some experience with photography, so please don`t get angry at me for posting this, but WHY does one need a 35mm adapter for H1 if it is interchangeable lens camera... I would figure that those type of cameras have good lenses what can achieve some shallow DOF.. I understand A1 doesn`t have interchageable lens so it probably does require one to get that adapter to get a nice shallow film like DOF, but H1???? does it mean that it makes no sense to pay twice the amount of money for H1 because it still doesn`t have that nice film like DOF since i still need an adapter?? Damn i rather spend half a price and get A1 and then use the adapter to achieve that film like DOF.... please explaing to me... thanks guys... I`m trying to save some money to get my first camera.. i am looking at

canon a1- under $5000

canon h1- interchangeable lenses( but if it makes no difference in picture then i`ll just get A1)

sony hvr-v1u - 1080p 24p

i really want a camera where i can get as close film like colors as possible.. i`ve been reading reviews watching samples but it is hard to decide....

• 1 year later...
ok i`m new to all this cinematography, i only have some experience with photography, so please don`t get angry at me for posting this, but WHY does one need a 35mm adapter for H1 if it is interchangeable lens camera... I would figure that those type of cameras have good lenses what can achieve some shallow DOF.. I understand A1 doesn`t have interchageable lens so it probably does require one to get that adapter to get a nice shallow film like DOF, but H1???? does it mean that it makes no sense to pay twice the amount of money for H1 because it still doesn`t have that nice film like DOF since i still need an adapter?? Damn i rather spend half a price and get A1 and then use the adapter to achieve that film like DOF.... please explaing to me... thanks guys... I`m trying to save some money to get my first camera.. i am looking at

canon a1- under $5000

canon h1- interchangeable lenses( but if it makes no difference in picture then i`ll just get A1)

sony hvr-v1u - 1080p 24p

i really want a camera where i can get as close film like colors as possible.. i`ve been reading reviews watching samples but it is hard to decide....

Hi Greg,

It is the matter of the size of the sensor... for example A1 got a 1/3" x 3CCD... it is the matter of the CCD.. not the lens.

dof-chart.jpg

The 35mm Adapter can create shallow DOF and create movie look. I also use Canon A1 + 35mm adapter.

But using the adapter is not easy task. distance measure and focusing is more difficult.

Also.. using the adapter mean you don't touch any focusing button or rings on the camera itself... no zoom as well.

I still think that lens adaptors tend to significantly and unacceptably reduce image quality, and I think that they're a silly thing to be using overall; more trouble than they're worth, but it's me against a zillion kids using them so whatever. As for "as close to film-like colors as possible," well, look into renting an F23; that's the closest from what I've seen. Prosumer cameras cost 1/20 as much for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

www.olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/komilfo_web.mov

A link to a commercial I did using H1 with mini35mm adapter,

I honestly think it doesn't loose any quality, gives a film look, thinking of upgrading to a Compact!