Dolly wheels and tracks

Adam Paul

I was just thinking about the flat spot problem with skate wheels. Would the U grooved ones have the same problem? They are steel covered in polyurethane type of material.

Also, I just checked Modern Studio and I see their standard wheel set are soft and the luxury set are hard wheels. I thought soft wheels would be smoother and the only advantage of harder wheels would be no flat spot. But at the cost of smoothness?

The harder the wheel the less they will flatten. the rubber on the u- shaped wheels flattens, but not much. The harder the wheel the more you will feel any scratch or dirt on the track. since you plan on either pipe or pvc I would recommend a wheel with a durometer hardness ( a scientific scale) of around 98a. check ebay for skate wheels. They have some great dealers that are excellent prices. I have been looking at building a newer dolly using roller skate wheels (not inline skate). the roller skate wheels are harder interior core than skate board wheels and are larger diameter. they fall in the hard but not too hard, soft but not too soft.

Check out the modern speed rail style skate wheels. They break down and are adjustable for different width tracks.

I would suggest using more wheels than four, if only to ensure a smoother ride. I have had many time a director and sound guy wants to ride the dolly pushing the wieght on the dolly up.

but also remember more weight = more momentum= smoother push. I always invite the AC to ride and the sound guy so that I have more wieght. The heavier the dolly the better.

Robert Duke

Key Grip

Memphis TN

Guest Evan Pierre
I would suggest using more wheels than four, if only to ensure a smoother ride. I have had many time a director and sound guy wants to ride the dolly pushing the wieght on the dolly up.

but also remember more weight = more momentum= smoother push. I always invite the AC to ride and the sound guy so that I have more wieght. The heavier the dolly the better.

more weight and more momentum also make it a lot harder to stop ;)

food for thought.