Cameras

Mike Celona

I love 24p and the look of film. What is the best camera to get that is professional, but affordable and can be hooked up to a mac for FCP editing. Can anyone explain some specifications of different cameras and what they mean? Thanks and best wishes.

mlcelona@gmail.com

Also what kind of format are you looking at? HD, SD?

Thanks for the replies. I dont really have the editing system for DH. I heard of HDV...but dont know much about it. I am used to DV and have shot with the XL1 and the DVC100A. I am looking to spend anywhere up to $3,000.

I really like shooting corporate video and short films and I think as a semi-professional something cheaper with 24p would be the best choice for me.

Hopefully this gave an idea of what I will be using it for. When it comes to shooting I am more of a consumer than a professional, and just want a good quality for cheaper.

• Premium Member
I love 24p and the look of film. What is the best camera to get that is professional, but affordable and can be hooked up to a mac for FCP editing. Can anyone explain some specifications of different cameras and what they mean? Thanks and best wishes.

mlcelona@gmail.com

The "Cinematographers" conference is for discussion about particular cinematographers and their work (e.g. Robert Richardson and his use of Pro-Mist filters, or Storraro and his use of color).

Please direct questions such as "what camera to buy" to the General Discussion conference.

The "Cinematographers" conference is for discussion about particular cinematographers and their work (e.g. Robert Richardson and his use of Pro-Mist filters, or Storraro and his use of color).

Please direct questions such as "what camera to buy" to the General Discussion conference.

Also, there are ? amount of forums with the SAME question.

if you want true 24p at under 3000 you cant get hd. A good camera would be the dvx100. It has a nice organic look, doesnt compare to real film but its fine on a budget. YOu could also consider the xl2. It a bit more expensive but the extra features (interchangable lenses, 16:9 widescreen, heavier for handheld work etc.) could make it worth it to you. It depends on what you want the camera for. YOu should check out the many review on the internet or other posts on this website.

Zamir Merali

Mike, please pick one thread. It's not good practice to post the same topic (especially the exact same words) in multiple sub-fora.

The Panasonic AG-DVX100B is a great camera, and I'd say go ahead and buy one today if you're not into doing your own research. It will do everything that you've mentioned and then some, and it comes in slightly under your $3000 price cap.

I was told to post it on the general discussion thread so I did. I am new to this forum and for the most part its not very welcoming. Some people have helped me so much, and I appreciate that.

Mike, my apologies about the thread comment. I came upon the threads in reverse order so I hadn't noticed that you'd been directed to post in a different forum. I did post a recommendation for you in the other thread.

If you feel that others in the forum haven't been welcoming, I'll apologize for that too, but the main reason for that is that this question has been asked a plethora of times, often in very vague terms that aren't conducive to constructive replies. I think that you'll find that there are an incredible amount of people in this forum that eager to offer advice, help, and guidance, but it's not fair to expect that anyone else has the time to "explain some specifications of different cameras and what they mean." There are numerous resources here, as well as all over the Internet for that. A few examples are:

- This forum's search page

- Resource links

- Library

I've witnessed firsthand that people here are very receptive to people at all levels in this industry, but it's necessary that you show the initiative to begin to learn these things on your own, rather than asking for very generalized information that can be found in any number of places.