Service of Konvas camera

Olex Kalynychenko

Hi.

I wish tell you a some my comments about information of Steve Larsen "How to lube, the Konvas-2M"

http://www.konvas.info/v/admin/

I wish tell of big thanks for real great job.

This information must be interesting for user of Konvas cameras.

The information have many photos and you can see,what you need do.

But, i must underline a some details about service of Konvas and other professional cine cameras.

I wish warn of users, what the any operations with professional cine cameras must make camera technician or person, who have experience of service of cine equiments and special devices for do this.

The album " How to" lube the Konvas 2M "show operations with service of mechanical parts of camera, but, not tell any about adjust of position of optical parts and i worry, what camera can receive a some problme after service.

This is very good base information about service, will need add a some steps and users must understand, what they do and what result must and can have.

I wish give my commens about steps.

"Konvas 2m open ".

The any procedure with Remove the front part of body can change of flange focal distance of lens mount and can destroy of adjusting of lens mount of camera.

That's why, After you remove and put back of the camera face you will need check of flange focal distance of lens mount with special mechanical measuring tools or with auto collimator and test lens with high precision 61.00 +/- 0.01 mm.

I don't can call of " How to lube, the Konvas-2M" similar of " full service of Konvas " after long time keeping, because, we not take to pieces of mechanism shaft , and mirror disk shaft.

The procedure of current maintenance with oil a parts of base shaft can be do without remove the front part of body. The other parts can be oil without take to pieces too.

Thats why, if you don't have collimator and special measuring tools, i not recommend remove the front part of body.

"Rotate the mirror to the bottom position ".

If you wish remove the front part of body, the mirror disk must set on upper position ( near ground glass ) with a some turn on clockwise near 40..50 degree, and must have ode side near side of ground glass.

"Remove the 6 little screws holding on the mirror "

O.. This is very rash procedure.

If you will remove the mirror disk, you will destroy of previous adjust of position of mirror disk ( influence on sharpness of image on film ), previous balance of swash of mirror surface of plastic mirror disk.

If you don't have collimator, not need do this, because, you can have problem with sharpness on film.

"This is the old greese, hard and sticky"

You can see, the parts have greese ( lube ) not fluid oil on this parts. And i recommend set new

consistent grease, lubricant grease for this parts.

"* This is an optional step - you can remove the viewing system but expect to realign it afterwards"

This is very rash procedure too.

If you will remove the ground glass prism, you can destroy of previous adjust of position of mirror disk ( influence on sharpness of image on film ).

You can see, the body of gropund glass prism have adjusting pins, but, from practical side, this position of ground glass after install can be other.

"remove the two small screws holding on the mirror assembly. "

Ater this operation, you can destroy of previous adjust of position of ground glass inside videwfinder and you can see of parts of ground glass only.

From practical side, the position of of ground glass inside viewfinder depend from volume of screw tightening.

The dust on mirrors not influence on quality of image on viewfinder too much, because, all this dust outside of focus.

"remove the gate. "

Before you will remove the film gate, you need set pin on mark position.

This is text print above film gate.

"Remove the shutter / transport assembly from the camera back"

Not need do this procedure, if you don't have special measuring tools and don't have technical ifnormation, about control size.

The matter is that, the two points of plate of mechanism ( iniside of plate ) between plate and rear side of body have adjusting plates.

The size of this plates must be adjust for fixed dimension of control point.

The volume of this adjust plates influence on jam of mechanism and gaps between gears.

That's why, need not lost of this adjusting plates and check of control size.

"Few drops of oil for the shutter shaft "

This is not need do, because, this is not point for oil of the shutter shart.

This is parts of lock for adjust of position of friction bearing of shutter shart and lock for adjust of position of

mirror disk.

The point for load a few drops of oil for teh shutter shart set inside of shutter sfart from side of mirror disk.

This point can be closed of small screw. You need unscrew of screw at centre of mirror disk and set a few drops of oil inside hole.

"few drops for the washer guiding the claw assembly. "

I recommend use of consistent grease.

The lubricating liquid (oil ) can be use similar of additional oil at current maintenance.

"Clean the mirror assembly"

The morrors have mirror surface and any touch can set scratch on mirror surface.

The original user manual wrote, what need use air only or brush with squirrel at last case.

" Clean the ground glass "

Have similar request.

"Assemble the viewing system "

After you assemble of mirrors and ground glass prism, you need check of position of ground glass inside viewfinder, ( The viewfinder must be adjusted and have correct adjusting too ).

For adjust of position of prism inside of viewfindr, you need have special optical test tools.

"the mirror with lens cleaner and lens tissue. "

The mirror disk have very delicate mirror surface.

I don't know, what influence will have cleaner, but, i know, the user manual wrote about use of air only.

The camera technicans use of special mix of ethylic ether and spirits.

"little oil for each screw before tightning."

This is not need do, because, after a some time, this oil will go on mirror surface ( centrifugal force ).

The all parts of mirror disk must be clean and dry.

Thanks for the information, Olex. This is very helpful. I would also like to share my experiences with disassembling the Konvas.

"Rotate the mirror to the bottom position ".

If you wish remove the front part of body, the mirror disk must set on upper position ( near ground glass ) with a some turn on clockwise near 40..50 degree, and must have ode side near side of ground glass.

If you decide to do this, be VERY CAREFUL. You can easily smash the mirror if it is in the wrong position when trying to remove the front of the camera. I have a glass shutter in my camera, and it is very fragile.

If you will remove the ground glass prism, you can destroy of previous adjust of position of mirror disk ( influence on sharpness of image on film ).

You can see, the body of gropund glass prism have adjusting pins, but, from practical side, this position of ground glass after install can be other.

As Olex points out, there are alignment pins for the prism. However, there is still play and you will need to check its position with a ground glass and loupe on the gate. DON'T expect it to be aligned on the first attempt at a reinstall.

"Clean the mirror assembly"

The morrors have mirror surface and any touch can set scratch on mirror surface.

The original user manual wrote, what need use air only or brush with squirrel at last case.

This is very important. The reflective material for these mirrors is actually on the mirror's surface, not behind it as with a conventional mirror. The slightest amount of friction will scratch it and start wearing the material off. Resist the temptation to clean it -- if you MUST do it, be very gentle.

"the mirror with lens cleaner and lens tissue. "

The mirror disk have very delicate mirror surface.

I don't know, what influence will have cleaner, but, i know, the user manual wrote about use of air only.

The camera technicans use of special mix of ethylic ether and spirits.

Same deal as with the viewfinder. That mirror shutter scratches very easily. It doesn't have to be spotless. It's only for you to see what you're shooting. It has no bearing on the quality of the image on film.

Thanks for the information, Olex. This is very helpful. I would also like to share my experiences with disassembling the Konvas.

If you decide to do this, be VERY CAREFUL. You can easily smash the mirror if it is in the wrong position when trying to remove the front of the camera. I have a glass shutter in my camera, and it is very fragile.

As Olex points out, there are alignment pins for the prism. However, there is still play and you will need to check its position with a ground glass and loupe on the gate. DON'T expect it to be aligned on the first attempt at a reinstall.

This is very important. The reflective material for these mirrors is actually on the mirror's surface, not behind it as with a conventional mirror. The slightest amount of friction will scratch it and start wearing the material off. Resist the temptation to clean it -- if you MUST do it, be very gentle.

Same deal as with the viewfinder. That mirror shutter scratches very easily. It doesn't have to be spotless. It's only for you to see what you're shooting. It has no bearing on the quality of the image on film.

Yes, The procedure of opening of body of Konvas must be very, very careful.

The mirror disk must be set on fixed position. ( If need, I can show this position on picture ) and moving of front panel must have special trajectory too, because, the front and rear side of body have two pins.

You need take away of front part from this pins, The nest, you need move on side at 5..10 mm, for set free of axis of main shaft from hole of motor connector and after you can make next move of front panel of body.

The mirror disk and mirrors of viewfinder can be clean, but, this operation must make person with experience.

The current maintenance of Konvas not too complex, and you can do this without taking to pieces of body.

You need open of cap of lens mount and set of a few drops of oil on frame of transport pin, cam of main axis, central hole of mirror disk shaft, shaft of transmission between body and magazine from side of film gate, cleaning of film gate.

The other procedures must be make at service lab with test of all optical parameters of camera.

Yes, The procedure of opening of body of Konvas must be very, very careful.

The mirror disk must be set on fixed position. ( If need, I can show this position on picture ) and moving of front panel must have special trajectory too, because, the front and rear side of body have two pins.

You need take away of front part from this pins, The nest, you need move on side at 5..10 mm, for set free of axis of main shaft from hole of motor connector and after you can make next move of front panel of body.

The mirror disk and mirrors of viewfinder can be clean, but, this operation must make person with experience.

The current maintenance of Konvas not too complex, and you can do this without taking to pieces of body.

You need open of cap of lens mount and set of a few drops of oil on frame of transport pin, cam of main axis, central hole of mirror disk shaft, shaft of transmission between body and magazine from side of film gate, cleaning of film gate.

The other procedures must be make at service lab with test of all optical parameters of camera.

hi

For the 1 M turret version and the current "1500 mètres" lube , must the turret be unscrew with the screw in the center of the turret.

I have a picture of the oiling point with a 2M. What is the" how to" for 1M.

hi

For the 1 M turret version and the current "1500 mètres" lube , must the turret be unscrew with the screw in the center of the turret.

I have a picture of the oiling point with a 2M. What is the" how to" for 1M.

The any operations with remove of turrent must included procedure of check of flamge focal distance.

The base idea.

If we tell about prime lenses.

If you remove of front side of body of 2M or turret of 1M, you can disturb of flange focal distance of camera. The position of focus ring with focusing of lens on infinity can to not coincide with mark of infinity on body of lens. And the scale of distance on lens can to don't coincide with real distances between camera and subject.

If this is operations not touch of position of mirror disk and position of ground glass, and not will influence at precision of focusing of lens by ground glass.

Thats' why, If you use ground glass for focusing of images at shooting, to disturb of flange focal distance

with remove of parts of body not important too much.

But, We will have other situation with zoom lenses.

The volume of flange focal distance of lens and camera very important for work.

If the lens and camera have other flange focal distances, the zoom lens can to function not correctly and if you

change a position of zoom, the focus of zoom lens will change and you will need adjust of position of focus again.

With the full coincidence of flange focal distance of lens mount of camera and flange focal distance of lens, you don't need adjust of focus,if you change position of zoom.

After this information, you need think, you need remove of front part of body or turret or not.

You can lube of parts of mechanism of camera through the hole of lens mount.

Yes,of course, the service with opened front panel of body, the more comfortable.

The base points of lube of mechanism of Konvas-1M, and Konvas-2M similar.

About question about :

" I have heard that ground glasses and mirror shutters are cleaned with denatured alcohol at most camera houses in LA? Do you think denatured alcohol is a good thing to use to clean mirror shutters and ground glasses? ".

I don't can answer , because, I don't use of denaturated alcohol

for clean mirror shutter and ground glass.

Possible, this can be good cleaner, need make test.

The base idea,- the cleaner must clean of surface without any traces and don't destroy of mirror surface.

If this alcohol to use for similar parts of other cameras, he can be use for Konvas camera too.

We have denatured alcohol at drugstore, but, with additional blue dye. This no good for clean of optical parts

We have denatured alcohol at drugstore, but, with additional blue dye. This no good for clean of optical parts

Just to let you know, denatured alcohol is also used to remove dried paint from paintbrushes.

As for blue dye, my neighbor went to Romania to adopt a baby immediately after the revolution. They drove for miles on unlite roads until they got to the home of a "physician" to pick up the baby. When they were presented with the baby they said it was covered in blue dye. They must use blue dye in everything over there.

Mark

Hi Olexander and thanks for the warnings and pointers. I updated the "How to" lube the Konvas album and included your warnings.

My first camera is in beautifull shape and the only thing I have removed from it is the front cover to remove the old lube and relube. When I was finished I did a lens and reg test to see if there were any problems and they both came back perfect.

My second 2M showed up an absolute wreck.. the mechanism was stiff and everything was dirty and dusty and the mirror had been scratched with somthing hard enough to leave three big marks. The camera was unusable and I had nothing to loose. The instructions I posted are for people in this position and I hope adding your warnings to the album makes that more clear. My curiousity is what led me to tear the camera to pieces and I would not recomend you do this to a new Konvas 2M. Worst case scenario I was going to send the camera off for serviceing when I was finished but I was going to fully understand the camera when I was done. The camera in the photo's I repainted before final assembly. I have since shot lens and reg tests with the camera and the lens test all came back fine but the reg test had a little drift from North to South at 24 & 32 fps and I was thinking about sending it to you for a check up..

Steve.

The instructions I posted are for people in this position and I hope adding your warnings to the album makes that more clear.

Steve.

I wish underline.

This is instruction very interesting and very necessary and this is important works.

The people can study a design of Konvas camera to see of details of mechanism and other parts, to study of steps of service.

The eminently qualified camera man must know all about personal equipments.

The every user can choose of volume of service. This can be current maintenance with minimum points of lube, or more detailes service with steps of measuring and adjusting.