What camera to buy...

Mike Celona

I dont really have the editing system for HD. I heard of HDV...but dont know much about it. I am used to DV and have shot with the XL1 and the DVC100A. I like 24p and the XLR outputs. I am looking to spend anywhere up to $3,000.

I really like shooting corporate video and short films and I think as a semi-professional something cheaper with 24p would be the best choice for me.

Hopefully this gave an idea of what I will be using it for. When it comes to shooting I am more of a consumer than a professional, and just want a good quality for cheaper.

mlcelona@gmail.com

Edited by Mike Celona

Hi Mike,

Based on the information that you've provided, I would personally recommend the Panasonic AG-DVX100B. It features 24p recording and dual XLR inputs, and is capable of recording footage with a very "filmic" quality. Though it's a standard-definition camera (not HDV), it records beautiful footage and has some very professional-level features. Unless you have a specific need for HDV at this point (e.g. your corporate videos are intended for HDTV output, or you expect to output your short films to HD-DVD, Blu-ray or film), there's not an urgent need to go there, as the HDTV market still looks to have at least 3-4 years left to settle on standards and come down to consumer-level prices for widespread adoption. HDV is not terribly taxing on your editing system (at least compared to uncompressed HD or some of the more professional HD formats), but if you have doubts, it may be best to stay in the SD realm for now. HDV doesn't require significantly more storage space but it will require a more powerful processor(s) than miniDV.

Check out this link on B&H Photo for an incredibly good deal on the AG-DVX100B through March 31 - $500 mail-in rebate along with some free software.

Best of luck!