Website and Reel Critique Needed

Pretty good, a nice variety of "looks" in a short timespan. A couple of the shots looked a little bit too straight from video for my taste - the bug crawling on the leaf, for instance, didn't feel as polished as the rest of the material. I wonder if you can have the reel play in a larger window.

Best,

Jon.

Looks good - just a couple suggestions:

- The two title cards near the end (Patriot Act, ACLU) are a little jarring since they're the only ones in the reel, and they appear too fast to read. I would either keep them on screen a little longer, or better yet, take them out since they aren't relevant to your camera skills. If you can find a better way to introduce the interview section (e.g. a shot of someone approaching an interviewee with a microphone), that would be a great alternative.

- The first few shots (the guys smoking in the dark) seem to be less interesting than any of your other footage. I would either move that sequence a little further in to the reel, or take it out - I think it's best if the first shots are among your best, and set the stage for the rest of the reel.

I don't understand the significance of the Patriot Act and ACLU titles. I'd get rid of them altogether. They don't demonstrate anything about your skill as a DP. Outside of that, I think I got a pretty clear idea of what you're about and your individual style.

www.lesliebumgarner.com

Any advice is welcome. THX

Lovely work, great variety and sample. I didn't see any ACLU or other signs that seems to have distracted others, but the work here is great. More samples of "up" lighting, less contrasty, might top it off nicely for those producers or directors looking for that sunshine-glow look.

hp

I would strike those first couple of shots of the guy's sitting in the chairs smoking and the shot of a light pole or something(?) They look one demensional compared to other material you have like the shot of the Bimmer or some of the landscape stuff. Hit 'em with your best right up front. Seems like you could pull one or two shots at least from "Un Pedacito de Cielo" for some more dramatic lighting content.

The resume pop-up box on the site seems a bit small to me. Also you spell "Varicam" with an A.