A New Super-8 Camera

Alessandro Machi

As a hobbyist filmmaker, I can spend less than $1.0K on a Bolex and get the job done. Why would I want to spend five or six times that amount to achieve the same result with an A-Cam?

it depends on what the "job" is. the a-cam is smaller, less noisy (even less in ds8 i guess although it's far from silent), has multiple crystal speeds and so on. i think the premium you pay for it being new is very small. this is what all these features cost. would i buy one? i'm thinking of the s16 version but unless they build a diy conversion a ds8 is not on my shopping list.

/matt

• Premium Member
it depends on what the "job" is. the a-cam is smaller, less noisy (even less in ds8 i guess although it's far from silent), has multiple crystal speeds and so on. i think the premium you pay for it being new is very small. this is what all these features cost. would i buy one? i'm thinking of the s16 version but unless they build a diy conversion a ds8 is not on my shopping list.

/matt

A clever idea. If one could somehow just remove an internal "all in one" compartment and then insert the DS8 version in it's place.....Perhaps it sounds good but wouldn't be practical because the load on the film motor might be different so simply swapping out pre-made components might not be all that is required???

The marketing aspect, if it was feasible, is one would purchase the Super-16 camera, then with lets say a $1,000 accessory, could convert the camera to double super-8. Now the question is, why would one do that? I would think getting 10 minutes of film time from one load could be very tempting and for ultra low budget projects that could be the difference between shooting film versus mini-dv.

For the film guy who doesn't want to see his clients using DV people, being able to offer them a Super-8 version if they cannot afford Super-16 could prove intriguing. Also being able to mix formats with the same camera would be cool as well, but is it possible?

I think this is a very brave effort by Ikonoskop - designing and manufacturing a brand new super 8 camera for the public. I hope they succeed in getting enough orders. DS8 certainly has it's benefits - superior registration compared to a super 8 cartridge and longer running times too - and it also works out cheaper than cartridge based super 8. Although some may crave for a brand new cartridge based super 8 camera to hit the market, this may not be the best option for a new product due to reliability issues - eg the possibility of defective cartridges.

Though of course on the other hand, there is the extremely limited number of film stocks available in DS8. Would be great if there were negative stocks in DS8.

I don't have the money for this camera but even if I did, I might be hesitant in buying it because it lacks a reflex viewfinder. I know that Ikonoskop chose not to include a reflex viewfinder to significantly reduce costs - to make it 'semi-affordable' but still - it's quite a bit of money to fork out for a movie camera that lacks through the lens viewing. If ever I decided to spend the dollars on a brand new movie camera, one of the main features that I would normally expect would be a reflex viewfinder. That's where the older, less expensive DS8 cameras have the advantage over this new model - through the lens viewing. Though of course since the new camera has a C mount, I guess you could always pick up one of those Pan Cinor lenses with the built in reflex viewfinder.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
Does anyone know if this camera has been made? I couldn't find much on the Ikonoskop website other than a request for 25 customers willing to make a deposit.

Thanks,

Jeremy

http://www.smartassprod.com/

If the camera did time-exposure and they provided a lens with the built in viewfinder I would get one in super-16.

I really have to admire the folks making Ikonoskop cameras for their effort.I suppose this will be the proof of the pudding so to speak as a barometer to see if double super 8 is a viable format.If they can sell that many cameras at that price ,then it stands to reason that there would be a bigger demand for DS 8 stock and the film companies would follow suit.

I'm skeptical still,though.Too bad a camera like this wasn't available in 1979.

I still think that our best bet for a new Super 8mm camera would be a small business like Bolex reviving one of their old designs. Perhaps with some added features like Variable Shutter, Crystal Sync, e.t.c.

I'm going to send them an email or a letter mentioning this idea, and commiting to buy one if they cost five hundred euros or less.

I still think that our best bet for a new Super 8mm camera would be a small business like Bolex reviving one of their old designs. Perhaps with some added features like Variable Shutter, Crystal Sync, e.t.c.

I'm going to send them an email or a letter mentioning this idea, and commiting to buy one if they cost five hundred euros or less.

I always thought Aaton,if anyone would go into super 8.In an old issue of Super8 Filmaker magazine,a dummy prototype of an Aaton super 8 was featured in a picture in one of their articles on DS 8.