Has anybody used the Glidecam 4000 with the HVX-200?

Jim Feldspar

In another thread there's a reference to doing this but I think in the context of having a

Redrock adaptor on the camera. With the stock HVX-200 set-up, have people used the Glidecam

4000 and how have your results been?

Also, I have a Stickypod Pro that I love but I've generally used it for smaller cameras although

it should be able to hold an HVX-200 as I believe that it's within the weight range. Still, that's

a lot of $ hanging on a car. Yes, I do tend to safety the heck out of hanging a camera but still

do any of you use a Stickpod Pro for hanging an HVX-200 on a car for moving shots?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

First, I too am interested in results of using a glidecam 4000 with the hvx, so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Second, based on my experience with a stickypod and a GL2, mounting an HVX would be pretty scary. There would be no question that you would have to devise some sort of extra straps and supports, both to keep the stickypod down to the car and to keep the hvx stable once its mounted (this may only be an issue when driving 70 on bumpy roads, which is how i used the stickypod most often). That being said, i think the stickypod can be an excellent starting point for a solid car rig which will be much cheaper than professional alternatives. The work to convert it will be well worth it.

First, I too am interested in results of using a glidecam 4000 with the hvx, so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Second, based on my experience with a stickypod and a GL2, mounting an HVX would be pretty scary. There would be no question that you would have to devise some sort of extra straps and supports, both to keep the stickypod down to the car and to keep the hvx stable once its mounted (this may only be an issue when driving 70 on bumpy roads, which is how i used the stickypod most often). That being said, i think the stickypod can be an excellent starting point for a solid car rig which will be much cheaper than professional alternatives. The work to convert it will be well worth it.

Hi Toby,

I too hope for the day when we get a report from somebody with Glidecam/HVX-200

knowledge.

Yeah, I've made out great flying down the highway with a mini-DV camera on the Sticky-Pod

but I'm proceeding cautiously with the bigger camera. I think that it can work but I'm

working out the extra support/safeties that are definitely needed.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who just ordered a Glidecam. I assume it's the 4000 because he plans on using it with an HVX. I should be able to report on some tests and maybe post some footage in the next couple of weeks.

Hey Guys

I shot this on my HVX GlideCam 4000. Remember this is my first day using my glidecam. Love to hear from you guys.

http://www.sibte.com/shot.mov

Edited by sibte hassan

Wow, that's a pretty long shot. The HVX200 is quite heavy. Did you have a smooth shooter vest? How much did the whole rig weight?

I got the whole system and with the complete camera, battery, arm, weights and vest, its like 20lbs. I insisted in taking one long shot and this was my 4th take and the last.

I got the whole system and with the complete camera, battery, arm, weights and vest, its like 20lbs. I insisted in taking one long shot and this was my 4th take and the last.

Oh, OK. As you didn't mention an arm and vest before I thought for a minute you were handholding the 4000 for that long. Maybe if you were Arnie :D

Good job still.

Just a question. You mentioned using the HVX and redrock adapter on the Glide cam. My friend asked me this the other day too and i wasn't sure if it would work. When shooting on with the M2 adapter, the image is inverted right. So you need to mount an on board monitor to view the image the correct way up. So after the adapter, lens, mattebox, camera, monitor and monitor battery is attached to the glide cam, what kind of weight are we talking about. can the glide cam take that kind of weight?

Just a question i had

Regards

Ken Minehan

Just a question. You mentioned using the HVX and redrock adapter on the Glide cam. My friend asked me this the other day too and i wasn't sure if it would work. When shooting on with the M2 adapter, the image is inverted right. So you need to mount an on board monitor to view the image the correct way up. So after the adapter, lens, mattebox, camera, monitor and monitor battery is attached to the glide cam, what kind of weight are we talking about. can the glide cam take that kind of weight?

Just a question i had

Regards

Ken Minehan

i wish GlideCam can take that much weight. Its meant to carry 6-9lbs max.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, gentlemen ... don't bash the manufacturer just because you couldn't balance the rig with the camera. Personally, I think any "handheld" stabilizer is a waste of time (and energy.) Your results WILL be much better when combined with the Smooth Shooter system.

Dave

Gentlemen, gentlemen ... don't bash the manufacturer just because you couldn't balance the rig with the camera. Personally, I think any "handheld" stabilizer is a waste of time (and energy.) Your results WILL be much better when combined with the Smooth Shooter system.

Dave

i agree and I have seen paparazzis running with their little 3 chip sony cameras. they are the ones who benefits the most out of glidecam 2000 and 4000.

Also once i balanced my camera i just have silver marker marks on the rig. it takes 10 minutes from opening the box to the first run. Its pretty cool!.

When shooting on with the M2 adapter, the image is inverted right. So you need to mount an on board monitor to view the image the correct way up. So after the adapter, lens, mattebox, camera, monitor and monitor battery is attached to the glide cam, what kind of weight are we talking about. can the glide cam take that kind of weight?

I have mounted and used my DVX, M2, Zoom Lens, monitor, and battery on my Glidecam 4000 and Smooth Shooter without a problem. Oh, because of the inverted image I had to also use an Israeli Arm and clamp to mount the monitor. This added a bit more weight.

Once all was adjusted and balanced it worked rather well. I almost feel it works better with more weight than less.

Hey Guys

I shot this on my HVX GlideCam 4000. Remember this is my first day using my glidecam. Love to hear from you guys.

http://www.sibte.com/shot.mov

sibte hassan, that is a very long shot. Are you using multiple camera angles?

I loved the pan backwards as the man walked to the confrontation. Excellent!

PS. - The one father, who took his anger out on the man...excellent acting B)

sibte hassan, that is a very long shot. Are you using multiple camera angles?

I loved the pan backwards as the man walked to the confrontation. Excellent!

PS. - The one father, who took his anger out on the man...excellent acting B)

For this feature, overall I am trying my best to keep least amount of cuts.

Yes actors are great, extremely dedicated to this project. Great acting just makes the shot looks so much better!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hey all

I purchased a glidecam 4000 a while back, and have been fairly pleased with the results. A few issues/points with it however.

It is heavy. The handle you hold it with is offset so the weight is in front of your wrist. Bear that in mind when thinking about what else you want to put on the camera and how long you want your shots to be. I don't have a vest/support system of anysort just the base glidecam, and I can usually get away with a 1-2 minute take if needs be, depending on the day lol.

It isn't perfect for everything. It has been tricky I've found to have somone pull focus on this by hand, as their added grip throws things off, If people have found a solution to this that would be great.

The footage can be very smooth, and almost imitate the look of a small jib/dolly, or it can look downright aweful, it depends on your skill with the glidecam, how well it is balanced, and your environment.

So all in all I'm glad I bought it, it has worked will with the HVX200 as long as you don't mind the weight. I've used it for certain things on several other people's films and it looks pretty good. If I get a chance I'll put some footage online.

BTW nice work Sibte, especially for your first day. I enjoy the 'documentary' style long take, although that must've been rough on your arm with the glidecam lol.

Good luck all

Edited by David Regan

• 4 weeks later...
Hey all

I purchased a glidecam 4000 a while back, and have been fairly pleased with the results. A few issues/points with it however.

It is heavy. The handle you hold it with is offset so the weight is in front of your wrist. Bear that in mind when thinking about what else you want to put on the camera and how long you want your shots to be. I don't have a vest/support system of anysort just the base glidecam, and I can usually get away with a 1-2 minute take if needs be, depending on the day lol.

It isn't perfect for everything. It has been tricky I've found to have somone pull focus on this by hand, as their added grip throws things off, If people have found a solution to this that would be great.

The footage can be very smooth, and almost imitate the look of a small jib/dolly, or it can look downright aweful, it depends on your skill with the glidecam, how well it is balanced, and your environment.

So all in all I'm glad I bought it, it has worked will with the HVX200 as long as you don't mind the weight. I've used it for certain things on several other people's films and it looks pretty good. If I get a chance I'll put some footage online.

BTW nice work Sibte, especially for your first day. I enjoy the 'documentary' style long take, although that must've been rough on your arm with the glidecam lol.

Good luck all

David, I go without the vest too but do you use the forearm brace? It has a metal post

for mounting the rig and gives a lot of support and a lot of relief to the operator and it's

fairly inexpensive.

• Premium Member

Jim, I don't have the forearm brace as of now. I'm looking to either buy one soon, or fabricate my own version, Glad to hear they really do help, because the fatigue of glidecam+hvx is a real downside.

I used the Glidecam recently with a DVX100, and it worked great! I really liked the feel and ease of use.

But keep in mind, its weight is hard on your wrist...forearm, bicep, tricep, traps and your back. So DO try and get the full vest and all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Wizikowski

I definetly recommend using a vest and arm of sorts with any steadicam system. Your endurance will last much longer over the course of the shoot. I personally have shot with the HVX on a glidecam 4000. There was no monitor on board so I simply used the flip out LCD on the camera which works well unless your panned off to the right. I would say the glidecam 4000 system worked very well for the price. I felt it balanced easily and efficiently. And adjustments aren't to cumbersome if needed. I'll post some footage when the edit is finished.

More recently I have used the Sachtler Artemis DV Pro and it is SPECTACULAR!! Of course so is the price. At $14,000 it really is a gem. The fine tuning adjustments are very precise. The ability to swap out spring-loaded canisters in the arm to allow for differing weights is genius. I shot a commercial spot using the Artemis and my HVX wearing the P&S Technik Mini-35 adapter and a Zeiss Super Speed Prime set (I stayed on the 18 most of the time). And I must say as the weight mounted this rig held up.

My personal preference is a camera weight of 15-20lbs so that the system is steadier than at a lighter weight. With the HVX alone the rig is very suseptible to wind and minor forces affecting your ability to control the shot.

Guest Paul Wizikowski

Ash, a fellow Tulsan, I've heard much about you from the Jobe's. A lot of good things. I like your look. The filtration/color correction is beautiful. Though I must admit I'm not crazy about the wobbly side-to-side steadicam moves. To me they don't come off as a "style".

Do you own the rig you used? Also, which lens did you use?

On a side note...where's the youngest one?

Ash, a fellow Tulsan, I've heard much about you from the Jobe's. A lot of good things. I like your look. The filtration/color correction is beautiful. Though I must admit I'm not crazy about the wobbly side-to-side steadicam moves. To me they don't come off as a "style".

Do you own the rig you used? Also, which lens did you use?

On a side note...where's the youngest one?

Thanks Paul... It was borrowed, I have a bad back and dont do Steadicam stuff anymore. I had one guy that was pretty skilled but I didnt like it looking so smooth (accentuated by shooting in 60P) so I had a guy strap it on that has never even used a Glidecam. The only stuff I wish was better was the full on running stuff but he was in a full sprint in the sand...so... sans a much more expensive rig, it wasnt going to get better. It didnt end up exactly as I wanted either but this was a thrown together last minute low budget thing so, while not perfect, it works.

The video was shot with a stock HVX at full wide (for all but one shot of the piano) and the color is a combo of in camera settings and some tweaking in FCP with the 3 way CC. The youngest one is actually the singer in this vid... man I am getting old!

ash =o)