Arriflex BL 16mm camera on craigslist?

Becky Steele

• Premium Member
Hey Tim,

Forgive me for calling you an elitist last week and being a toal a**. Was a really tough week, taking it out on people I don't know... I suck, I know...

No worries mate.

The BL is a cool looking camera. There is a great silhouette of it on the cover of Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz, 2nd Edition (the edition before the current one where Kris teams up with David Mullen).

"Looks like a real movie camera should."

-Tim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man People loves this camera, (I do to!)

But I believe at the same time that we don't know where Rebecca is on the process of learning.

My Best advice is to ask her,

Honey, do you feel confident to go out there and do your stuff?

if she says yes.... welll I have no argument here!

But if the answer is a little dubious... well I will consider getting something much cheaper

like a K-3 or a 35mm still photo camera

anyway I think I spend it to much time following this

Bye....Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Premium Member
Aaton LTR on Ebay Here is a Aaton LTR from the same seller that I bought mine from.

PS. The LTR that is on eBay at the moment comes from a good seller. I did business with him - never had any probs.

Lav,

That LTR54 went to someone down in your "neck of the woods" (as we used to say). An Aussie won the auction and got the camera for $4800. My LTR is pretty much set up the same as the one Per auctioned. Pretty amazing when you think about it. A year ago I looked at the same camera from one of the reputable shops here in the States and they were asking $12,900 for it.

It is a buyer's market, (I think we have the HVX-200 to thank for that) so if you need a Super 16 motion picture camera, now is the time to shop.

-Tim

Hey Tim,

Wasn't me that bought it, unfortunately!

I was inquiring heaps and watching it, that is for sure, but missed it near the end!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for that perfect s16 kit, although my local rental company is making it difficult for me, reducing their rental prices to insignificant amounts :) Perhaps that is normal when one rents from the same place a lot ?

None the less I would love to own a s16 kit...

Re: 16BL looking like a real 'film' camera... difficult to admit, but when i first laid my eyes on the BL, that is exactly what i thought! I remember getting it out from a store (collage store) even though I wasn't mean to, as we were only just learning reversal film and they only let us touch STs (whilst supervised)... and here I was handling sound camera, that looked like a 'real' film camera... so trivial and so long ago now, but oddly fresh in my mind;

Cheers,

Lav 'sucker for 16BL'

Lav,

I'll keep watching for you as well. If I see anything, I'll let you know.

-Tim

Cheers Tim, I really appreciate that!

Off to write a small bit about my last short film for ACS newsletter... I'll try and mention the forum as well, since much input was given to me by its members :D

My LTR is pretty much set up the same as the one Per auctioned. Pretty amazing when you think about it. A year ago I looked at the same camera from one of the reputable shops here in the States and they were asking $12,900 for it.

It is a buyer's market, (I think we have the HVX-200 to thank for that) so if you need a Super 16 motion picture camera, now is the time to shop.

-Tim

Mine is almost the same as well but I don´t have the beamsplitter installed. Would have loved to get this lens but couldn´t afford it right now.

• Premium Member
Mine is almost the same as well but I don´t have the beamsplitter installed. Would have loved to get this lens but couldn´t afford it right now.

That's a hoot, I was bidding on the same lens. I went up to $2700 but was soundly outbid. Would have been nice.

-Tim

That's a hoot, I was bidding on the same lens. I went up to $2700 but was soundly outbid. Would have been nice.

-Tim

You have good taste ;) I only have a 12.5mm and a 25mm CP Ultra-T lens for my camera and would really like to own one of thoose cooke zooms as I really love the image they produce. Another option I´m considering is buying a set of Zeiss super speeds but right now I´m more interested in a cooke.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe that's Becky in the picture, maybe she bought it and it did not work out.

-Tim

LOL maybe she shot her film in 4 days and has no need for it any longer

how about those SRs on eBay, are they fake Tim? I know you are pretty good at figuring fakes out ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arri-SR-Super-16-mm...QQcmdZViewItemv

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Arri-S16mm-Camera...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Premium Member
LOL maybe she shot her film in 4 days and has no need for it any longer

how about those SRs on eBay, are they fake Tim? I know you are pretty good at figuring fakes out ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arri-SR-Super-16-mm...QQcmdZViewItemv

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Arri-S16mm-Camera...1QQcmdZViewItem

Lav,

I would say the first one is fake because it has been taken down by eBay. The second one is from a very dodgy seller. Read his feedback. Even though he has only one negative, he has many neutrals from buyers complaining about exorbitant shipping costs, and other bad selling practices. And I am sure he would tack on another $1000 at least to ship that package. And since my daddy told me that "If you can't say sompin nice, don't say nuttin t'all.", I will refrain from commenting about the quality of the work performed by the company that converted the camera. I think that seller's eBay name says all you need to know, oldfilmcrap!

Lav, if you're still looking for a Super 16 set up, PM me, I have something you might be interested in.

-Tim