Steadycam Flycam Camcorder Stabiliser or Glidecam 3000 with Support

Alan Gough

Can any one provide feedback on the Steadycam Flycam Camcorder Stabiliser + COMFORT SUPPORT which I see on Ebay, versus the Glidecam 3000 System.

I wish to purchase a system for corporate holida incentive and wedding videography and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this "low end" stabilizer gear.

Any comments or suggestions for used better quality equipoment up to 800.00 would be appreciated.

I propose to use the stabilizer of choice with our HVX 200 camera.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Alan Gough

www.visionmasters.net

Can any one provide feedback on the Steadycam Flycam Camcorder Stabiliser + COMFORT SUPPORT which I see on Ebay, versus the Glidecam 3000 System.

I wish to purchase a system for corporate holida incentive and wedding videography and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this "low end" stabilizer gear.

Any comments or suggestions for used better quality equipoment up to 800.00 would be appreciated.

I propose to use the stabilizer of choice with our HVX 200 camera.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Alan Gough

www.visionmasters.net

I found this review of the 3000 with a lot of discussion about wedding/event shoots:

http://www3.baylor.edu/Comm_Studies/engine...ideCam_Info.pdf

I am puzzled however because on the Glidecam company site, I can find no mention

of a 3000 model. I use and like the 4000. The 2000 is great but the 4000 can take extra

weight. I definitely recommend the forearm brace.

I hope this helps. I have a post on here asking a similar question about people's

experiences with the HVX-200 and the Glidecam 4000 and a lot of views but no

responses.

On its site, Glidecam recommends the 4000 for the HVX-200. You can get that and the

brace and come in well under $800.00.

The Glidecam is also nice because you can set it down when you want to rest and it will

stand upright. I wouldn't walk away from it with an expensive camera on top...but you could

if you were careful and not arounda lot of commotion. You also can bang off some quick

shots that way.

One other thing: Get a quick release plate and mount it on your Glidecam camera plate.

This is a major time saver when going back and forth to your tripod!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Wizikowski

I'm not familiar with the Steadicam Flyer though I have heard it mentioned more often then other systems.

As for the Glidecam I recently shot a short Docu nearly exclusively with it. It was the 4000 and I used the vest/arm instead of the forearm brace or purely by hand and it worked flawlessly. I would still consider it low-end as the bottom post wasn't built for a monitor but merely had the donut weights resting on it. But that worked out all right as I just used the onboard LCD for framing and so long as I wasn't pointed off to the right it worked.

Anyways I got great stuff with it using my HVX. The balance act was very straight forward, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get it balanced.

Since then I have purchased the Sachtler Artemis DV Pro and I went with it over the Flyer because the Flyer's weight capacity tops out at 15lbs while the Artemis, with a quick spring change tops out at 28lbs. Enough to start adding a lens adapter and film lenses. And the Artemis is significantly cheaper than the next size rig from Steadicam. And my reasoning is much the same with Glidecam. Their first real solid system, with internal wiring for monitor and power costs more than the Artemis. I woudl be interested in knowing what other people are using.

Paul

• Premium Member

Alan Gough

www.visionmasters.net

Stay away from the Flycam. It's a cheap knockoff from South America and I've never heard a good thing about it.

The Glidecam is considered to be a pretty decent piece of gear, but I haven't personally ever tried any of Glidecam's products so I can't speak from personal experience.

If you want more detailed information on stabilizers you should check out the Steadicam Forum, which is a sister site to this site and is populated by operators who can help you out with all of your questions.

Stay away from the Flycam. It's a cheap knockoff from South America and I've never heard a good thing about it.

I thought they were in India?

Cheap? Yes, in price it's cheaper than a Glidecam. I bought one of them and it works as well as the Glidecam though. About being a knock off, it's not exactly like the Glidecam. Besides basically all these devices are a knock off of the original Stedicam anyways and the Flycam seems to be as different from the Glidecam as the Glidecam and others are from the original Steadicam.

For the price I thought it was worth a try and I wasn't disapointed.