FYI: Article on David Lynch in SF Chronicle

Peter J DeCrescenzo

John with all due respect I sincerely agree to disagree with you on this matter. I would claim the complete opposite, he is one of the most underrated filmmakers working today.

There is really a shame that his films after Dune never has gotten a fair theatrical reales, when I say fair I mean opening on 2000-3000 screens.

No wonder that his films losses money when they open on 200 screens and then just vanishes.

I would also be really hard to deny that Twin Peaks really changed, what you could do with TV drama, Mark Frost was of course also a big part of its successes.

Regards

Alex

• Premium Member
I hope he has fun making his home movies , keeps taking the drugs . One of the most overated film makers of all time . Apart from" Elephant Man " his films suck .

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Holland. I'd appreciate some elaboration as to why you feel so strongly negative about most Lynch films?

I really like what I call the tone & texture of "Mulholland Dr." -- the mood and context evoked by its pacing, imagery, acting & script. I haven't seen all of David Lynch's films, but "Mulholland Dr." is my favorite thus far.

Does one need to be an American, or especially to have lived in California, to better appreciate Lynch's films? I don't know the answer, but sometimes I think my 15+ years in CA and lifetime in the USA helps me appreciate the mixture of dread and wonder (or is it dread & longing?) captured in many David Lynch films. I could be wrong.

• Premium Member
hi Peter , think it could be what you say about maybe needing to a be American to [ get it ] i find them very hard work , which is ok , but really shallow . Does that help ? John.

Thanks for your reply, John.

"... really shallow." ?

Very interesting. I'll have to think about that for a while. :blink:

I'll throw in with John. Never could see the point of Lynch's flicks. Every time I watch one I come away feeling like I could have better spent the past two hours numbering my nose hairs. that's not meant to be critical really, nothing bad anyway, they're just devoid of value to me personally. I understand some people dig it.

Well, except Eraserhead. I'll probably decry that flick I'll decry forever.

All that said, I've been considering just going through his flicks to see if I can figure out what I'm missing. After all, I used to say acquiring an acquired taste was a silly thing. But that was before I gave beer an honest chance :D

Matthew no hate or malice just dont like his films ,over here the British Film Institute have spent years publishing endless drivel about his movies , tend to do that thing when they dont know what the fu** its all about so must be "art " john.

I really like what I call the tone & texture of "Mulholland Dr." -- the mood and context evoked by its pacing, imagery, acting & script. I haven't seen all of David Lynch's films, but "Mulholland Dr." is my favorite thus far.

Hi Peter - if you haven't seen Lost Highway yet, I'd bet that you'll like it. It was actually the first Lynch film that I saw, and I was fortunate to catch it in the theater while it was still out. It was quite a mesmerizing experience, even though I couldn't put my finger on why, at least at the time. It may be hard to track down a decent quality copy, as it hasn't seen a wide release on DVD even after 10 years, but a brand new copy of the VHS letterbox version might do it some justice.

I've never been surprised that Lynch's films are so polarizing, as they are no doubt very different than most others out there. I think that people who are more plot/story-oriented will find them endlessly frustrating, but people that are interested in the more subconscious aspects like mood, pacing, and ambiance can find some truly unique experiences in his films. There's nothing objectively better or worse about either of these mindsets, just a difference in expectations that will ultimately sway a given viewer's like/dislike of a particular film.

Matthew no hate or malice just dont like his films ,over here the British Film Institute have spent years publishing endless drivel about his movies , tend to do that thing when they dont know what the fu** its all about so must be "art " john.

Picasso's first cubist piece (Les Demoiselles de Avignon) attempts to interrelate Parisian hookers with African and Oceanic tribal art. From which part of Picasso's psyche he made such a connection is beyond me, although I still thoroughly enjoy looking at the piece. "Art, in its broadest meaning, is the expression of creativity or imagination, or both." It requires no explanation.

Edited by Ken Cangi

think you are pushing it a bit there , i am talking about people making a living writing waffle about a film maker with little general following by the great unwashed . i can spend as much or little time looking at a painting when i have seen enough i move on. stuck in a cinema with a numb bum , its not the same . john.

think you are pushing it a bit there , i am talking about people making a living writing waffle about a film maker with little general following by the great unwashed . i can spend as much or little time looking at a painting when i have seen enough i move on. stuck in a cinema with a numb bum , its not the same . john.

Not at all, John. Your statement makes it sound as though every person in the theatre is suffering from Numb Bum. There are more than a few of us out there who happily endure Lynch's films from opening shot to closing credits. BTW, the size of his following does not diminish the validity of his films for those of us who appreciate them. The amount of Toyotas on the road, as compared to Bentley Azures, is staggering, although, given a choice, I'd take the Azure any day of the week.

As for the Mullet Wrapper journalists, they get paid to wax poetic about things about which they generally have little or no understanding. All I can say about that is: Better them than me.

Edited by Ken Cangi

I have to at least attemp here to balance things before they go Co Co

You are both right you silly maggots!

For John, I understand what you are saying completly, YOU DON'T LIKE DAVID LYNCH!!!! and you know what that's OK.... it takes some guts to say that.

So what he doesn't like Lynch's films oooooo Big Fuc@#@ deal!!! the guy is in his right to not like the god damn films of Lynchy.....

I personally don't like a lot famous people that society puts in a pedestal, so what people I don't like for example all the work of Picasso, most of it doesn't move me, as much than Modigliani, or Lautrec. So what

I'm in fault for not going with the comformity of society.

Ken & Peter: You like Lynch's cinema.... you know what?.. THAT'S OK.....

You admire a director that had a chance to show his message to the masses, and you like his message....

For that reason it's ok to say: I'm LOve with Lynchy!!! you like the fu**ing guys work...... but it's interesting to point out that alot of people don't tend to disagree the say "Well who doesn't" and they roll their shoulders with a mockery of a smile.

I think it really doesn't matter.... I read a guy there cry about Dune not having the proper realese..... Really who Cares!!!!! Lynch is not stupid, if that's the deal he got.... well good for him, How many great filmmakers.... better example...

Imagine is 1965 and you see Jimi Hendrix in the street playing his guitar and asking for coins.... will you stop and look at him as he is the greatest guitar player or as just one more guy playing 6 strings rumblings

Is the same with Directors or FilmmaKERS in general there are great people out there with films that they will destroy your mind, but we see them come and go, because they didn't get a proper deal.... well I prefer to feel for that guy That for Lynch, Because Mr Lynchy ( how I like to call him) he had and has he's chance to explore with his films..... so if John DOESN'T LIKE Lynch... it's ok, because he might like something else, Maybe something stupid or maybe not,

My point is the just dropped and if a guy doesn't like your artist of prefrence, just go with it, this is not the world cup and you are not rootying for your team, this is just Film, with it's formats and visionares... if they take you there be happy that they took you, don't look around and point fingers to those that didn't get on the "Boat" of the Visoner

Anyway

I'm going to work to be one of those that can make the right deal

Have a nice Day everyone

I have to at least attemp here to balance things before they go Co Co

You are both right you silly maggots!

For John, I understand what you are saying completly, YOU DON'T LIKE DAVID LYNCH!!!! and you know what that's OK.... it takes some guts to say that.

So what he doesn't like Lynch's films oooooo Big Fuc@#@ deal!!! the guy is in his right to not like the god damn films of Lynchy.....

I personally don't like a lot famous people that society puts in a pedestal, so what people I don't like for example all the work of Picasso, most of it doesn't move me, as much than Modigliani, or Lautrec. So what

I'm in fault for not going with the comformity of society.

Ken & Peter: You like Lynch's cinema.... you know what?.. THAT'S OK.....

You admire a director that had a chance to show his message to the masses, and you like his message....

For that reason it's ok to say: I'm LOve with Lynchy!!! you like the fu**ing guys work...... but it's interesting to point out that alot of people don't tend to disagree the say "Well who doesn't" and they roll their shoulders with a mockery of a smile.

I think it really doesn't matter.... I read a guy there cry about Dune not having the proper realese..... Really who Cares!!!!! Lynch is not stupid, if that's the deal he got.... well good for him, How many great filmmakers.... better example...

Imagine is 1965 and you see Jimi Hendrix in the street playing his guitar and asking for coins.... will you stop and look at him as he is the greatest guitar player or as just one more guy playing 6 strings rumblings

Is the same with Directors or FilmmaKERS in general there are great people out there with films that they will destroy your mind, but we see them come and go, because they didn't get a proper deal.... well I prefer to feel for that guy That for Lynch, Because Mr Lynchy ( how I like to call him) he had and has he's chance to explore with his films..... so if John DOESN'T LIKE Lynch... it's ok, because he might like something else, Maybe something stupid or maybe not,

My point is the just dropped and if a guy doesn't like your artist of prefrence, just go with it, this is not the world cup and you are not rootying for your team, this is just Film, with it's formats and visionares... if they take you there be happy that they took you, don't look around and point fingers to those that didn't get on the "Boat" of the Visoner

Anyway

I'm going to work to be one of those that can make the right deal

Have a nice Day everyone

That was quite the diatribe, Martin. I'm glad that you got that off of your chest, but you missed my entire point. Any fool would realize that we all are entitled to like and dislike whomever and whatever we choose. My questions to John were specifically directed at two of his comments - saying that Lynch's films suck, and then insinuating that writers and film professors who, in John's opinion, don't understand shitty work when they see it, call that work art. I considered those to be pretty bold statements, so I asked him to elaborate, and then I offered the Picasso analogy to clarify my point.

It is one thing to dislike a work because of personal differences in taste. Saying that a works sucks, without offering a valid reason why, is quite another. Of course John is not obligated to elaborate on his reasons, although not doing so renders his opinion worthless, IMO. As for his assumption that film teachers and writers don't know the difference between art and poop, that is his opinion and nothing more.

Now, before everyone gets their panties in a wad, understand that I really am not affected by John's opinion, either way. I am not interested in a pissing contest. I simply felt compelled to call John on his shallow statements.

Edited by Ken Cangi

Hahahaha I justr have to laugh... hahahaha

You do Care!!!!!!!!!!!! for Christ sake !!!!!

He's comment could be shallow, but your is a controversy!!!!!

If you didn't truly care , You won't response

And let ME tell You something, I think there are tons of teachers and proffesors and proffesional "critics"that mix poop with art all the time.... ok

I see it every day, they Honor some old hack or some arrogant kid, because of favoritism!!! there ART is no better than anybody else, but the problem is that they could'nt find anybody else so they put the "leftovers on a pedestal"

I think sir you are missing the point!!!! you let comformity consume you.

And first of all this is the Cinematographers section.... what the helll is this thread doing here!????

And Sir if you think this comment is bold, You Better believe it!!!

Hahahaha I justr have to laugh... hahahaha

You do Care!!!!!!!!!!!! for Christ sake !!!!!

He's comment could be shallow, but your is a controversy!!!!!

If you didn't truly care , You won't response

And let ME tell You something, I think there are tons of teachers and proffesors and proffesional "critics"that mix poop with art all the time.... ok

I see it every day, they Honor some old hack or some arrogant kid, because of favoritism!!! there ART is no better than anybody else, but the problem is that they could'nt find anybody else so they put the "leftovers on a pedestal"

I think sir you are missing the point!!!! you let comformity consume you.

And first of all this is the Cinematographers section.... what the helll is this thread doing here!????

And Sir if you think this comment is bold, You Better believe it!!!

Careful reading has apparently become a lost art.

I don?t claim to understand all of his films after a single viewing, but I also don?t have the nerve to discredit him as a filmmaker just because his films take some thinking, and don't conform to every cinematic tradition that has been floating around since the 1920?s. What John has been saying just discourages aspiring filmmakers to experiment with original ideas and ways of seeing the world, and encourage the slush of B-movies that we have become so accustomed.

Just because something isn't immediately understood doesn't meean it should be automatically dismissed. And it's very narrow minded to dismiss a filmmaker because of a format he has chosen to work with... (digital). He sees the world very differently, and has an original style of filmmaking that I think should be really inspirational.