How to adjust xenon lamp?

Stig Lundberg

Hi, anyone out there who knows how to adjust the Xenon lamp of a Elmo GS 1200.

Mine has a misalignment rendering a darker right side of the screen. There are no repiar people in Sweden where I live and it would be to costly to send it abroad. (The present Elmo representative had no idea Elmo ever made a Xenon super 8 projector)

• Premium Member
Hi, anyone out there who knows how to adjust the Xenon lamp of a Elmo GS 1200.

Mine has a misalignment rendering a darker right side of the screen. There are no repiar people in Sweden where I live and it would be to costly to send it abroad. (The present Elmo representative had no idea Elmo ever made a Xenon super 8 projector)

When I was in film school we had a film club. I would put together annual budget requests and one year we got funding for a Super-8 Elmo Xenon projector which we used for our Super-8 Film Festivals. The projector was treated with kid gloves by us and it never gave us a problem, so basically, I have no idea what has gone wrong for you. A test you can try when you don't have film in the gate is to check the contrast and evenness of the light with and without film in the gate. An additional test you can do, power down the unit, take off the lens and check the evenness of the light on the screen. (um, don't look directly into the projector light at any time, you probably know that but just being safe). The purpose of these test is to corroborate that it is the lamp that is the problem. Don't touch the bulb at any time because the oil from your fingers on the bulb could cause a warm xenon bulb to explode.

And finally, there is a forum called 8mm film that has very experienced posters about projection issues.

8mm forum film/tech

• Premium Member

Is this a xenon arc discharge lamp?

If so, it's got to be worth mentioning the safety issues with these things - they're under high pressure at all times, and extremely high pressure when hot. They explode violently with a similar force to some explosives, and there is specific protective equipment usually issued to go with it. At the very least, wear heavy clothing, a ballistic face mask and heavy leather gloves.

Phil

• Premium Member
Is this a xenon arc discharge lamp?

If so, it's got to be worth mentioning the safety issues with these things - they're under high pressure at all times, and extremely high pressure when hot. They explode violently with a similar force to some explosives, and there is specific protective equipment usually issued to go with it. At the very least, wear heavy clothing, a ballistic face mask and heavy leather gloves.

Phil

Suddenly, the bulb as is probably doesn't look so bad.

Guest Glenn Brady

I'm not familiar with the Elmo GS-1200 Xenon projector, but I have several Elmo Omnigraphic 550 Xenon AF 35mm slide projectors, and the lamps in these are mounted in bases that offer a range of adjustment. I would expect the GS-1200 to have the same arrangement. Wear protective eyewear and clothing when opening the lamp enclosure, as Phil Rhodes advises.