Premiere Pro 2.0 and MXF Files

Guest cf64inc

Guest cf64inc

I'm a PC guy and currently use Premiere Pro 1.5 which does not recognize MXF files. Does Premiere Pro 2.0 work with the P2 MXF files or do I have to purchase additional software? Don't want to purchase Premiere Pro 2.0 if it's not going to recognize my HVX 200; Might have to switch to FCP. Thanks in advance.

I'm a PC guy and currently use Premiere Pro 1.5 which does not recognize MXF files. Does Premiere Pro 2.0 work with the P2 MXF files or do I have to purchase additional software? Don't want to purchase Premiere Pro 2.0 if it's not going to recognize my HVX 200; Might have to switch to FCP. Thanks in advance.

Also the Raylight plugin works with PPpro 1.5 just as well as 2.0, and you can drag the MXF files directly into the project (even straight from the P2 card if you need a quick edit) without a conversion step. You can't do that with either Cineform or FCP.

Here is a direct link http://dvfilm.com/raylight

Edited by Marcus van Bavel

• 6 years later...

As far as I know Premiere Pro can't supported P2 MXF files well.

In fact, most of the non-linear editing systems (NLE) including Final Cut Pro (FCP 6/7/X), iMovie (9/11), Final Cut Express, Avid Media Composer, Aodbe Premiere Pro are incapable of handling P2 MXF files well. If you want to smoothly import and edit the recorded P2 MXF footage with Premiere on Mac, the best solution is to transcoding the P2 MXF files first and then ingest them to your NLE. Here is a solution for you: Guide to Transcoding Panasonic P2 MXF files for Mac editing smoothly. Since you are a Windows PC users, just get the Windows MXF encoding tool. The workflow is the same.

Edited by Chris King