The cost of film stock for a Super 16mm production

beliefpictures

Guest NBC Shooter
. . . To answer the original poster's question, the general rule of thumb for Super-16 film stock - including buying the raw stock, getting it developed and a basic transfer to video for editing - is aound $.50 - $.60 per foot, or about $20 per minute.  So a 100 minute feature film shot on a 5:1 ratio (4:1 is too low, and even 5:1 is seriously pushing it.  7:1 is better) would mean 500 minutes at $20 per, or $10,000.

Hey, Mitch! Thanks for that concise all-in-one Super16 budgeting rule-of-thumb. I've been considering shooting a 24P feature project (self-produced/self-financed/self-DP'ed, etc.) with like an SDX900 or something, but the more I think about it (and I've been thinking and thinking and thinking), I think I'm going to go Super16 instead. I'll XFR to DV and post on home PC (don't really plan on ever making a print, but if someone ever DOES want to PAY for one, I'll be all set).

By the way, I shoot for an entertainment show, and we visit just about every stage in Hollywood. Whenever we're on a sitcom multi-camera film set like "Will & Grace" or something, lemme tell ya, it seems like they're CONSTANTLY stopping to change their 1000' mags like every other minute! Plus a lot of times the director keeps rolling rather than stop the momentum from a line that went bad or a reset and re-slate. Those guys shoot a HECK of a lot of film!

Edited by NBC Shooter

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little off. And I was also using 3-perf instead of 4 in the figure. I guess it only comes to 7 1/2 hours... Thats still I alot of film.

When answers dont seem right to me, I feel I should double check and make sure they are right. But it seems it seems im wronge here. although I never said "No productions shoot 30,000 feet a day" I said "I find that hard to imagine", I never said it was not true.

The Film Emporium is a nice place to do business with and they're right here in New York.

Landon, why are you boasting about that government's re-election? Think about this:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety

deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Ben Franklin

Ben Franklin is one of my heros.

If you read his biography, you'll se that his statement about "a little temporary safety" also to social "safety".

Amazing guy.

Him and Tesla were probably two of the most brilliant guys in the last 200 years.

Matt Pacini

no doubt; along with sartre, camus, stravisnky, einstein, etc...

thanks

• Premium Member
Whenever we're on a sitcom multi-camera film set like "Will & Grace" or something, lemme tell ya, it seems like they're CONSTANTLY stopping to change their 1000' mags like every other minute! Plus a lot of times the director keeps rolling rather than stop the momentum from a line that went bad or a reset and re-slate. Those guys shoot a HECK of a lot of film!

Well, I haven't worked on "Will and Grace", so there's certainly a possibility that I'm wrong, but most sitcoms use 2000' mags. As far as I know sitcoms are the only types of shows to use those mags. Just a bit of info. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest NBC Shooter
Well, I haven't worked on "Will and Grace", so there's certainly a possibility that I'm wrong, but most sitcoms use 2000' mags.  As far as I know sitcoms are the only types of shows to use those mags.  Just a bit of info.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think you're right, my bad . . . I think they are all 2000' mags.

Edited by NBC Shooter