Does anyone transfer super8 to HDV?

Ed Nyankori

I want to use some super8 footage in a low music video amongst other projects. But it will only be effective if transferred to HDV. Im not sure what to expect from the transfer but I know I dont want to upres from DV and want to examine the useablility of super8 as an effect for some other projects. Cost is always an issue so if anyone knows what cost to expect per 50ft cartridge to hdv, id appreciate it. Thanks!

• Site Sponsor
Bonolabs does. They have a lot of information on their website, but you might want to contact them for details.

I do not think anyone does, The problem is twofold, HDV is really two incompatible formats (JVC and Sony) and none of the decks for HDV have any "real" I/O on them. The only interface for HDV is firewire which is fine if all you want to do is remain in a closed HDV loop but it does not allow for HD-SDI ingest from a telecine or a "real" hd deck like Hdcam or D5.

I thought about trying to get film to HDV but in order to do this I would have to transfer to Disk, uncompressed, and then up-rez and then down convert to through the HDV compression scheme.

I think you might want to think of converting your HDV footage into a more workable format on your machine (Uncompressed HD or DVCproHD) and then get your film transfered to disk uncompressed and add all of the footage together on your timeline. This will also allow you to do much more post manipulation on your footage where if your working in HDV compression the picture will crumble quickly under any real color manipulation or keys.

-Rob-

Why you wanna destroy your footage in heavy compression?

HDV not rules!

and is not possibly at this time, hdv decks only reproduce hdv but cant master in hdv format.

if you want hd remeber that youre gonna loss the up and down sector of image to fit in 16.9 and the zooming to fit in HD will be too much for the size of negative.

bye!!

Treegan

I want to use some super8 footage in a low music video amongst other projects. But it will only be effective if transferred to HDV. Im not sure what to expect from the transfer but I know I dont want to upres from DV and want to examine the useablility of super8 as an effect for some other projects. Cost is always an issue so if anyone knows what cost to expect per 50ft cartridge to hdv, id appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi;

That company uses a customised sniper for transfer (made by these guys www.moviestuff.tv) from reading about them they seem to be getting very decent results but are i'd say at the lower end of "pro telecine" hence the price! If you want to get the best then you will have to pay more to have a transfer made on a Rank or Ursa Diamond for the best SD results, or go back to your origional company and explain how you feel, they are still prooving themselves so may well want to keep you happy....

Olly

Hi;

That company uses a customised sniper for transfer (made by these guys www.moviestuff.tv) from reading about them they seem to be getting very decent results but are i'd say at the lower end of "pro telecine" hence the price! If you want to get the best then you will have to pay more to have a transfer made on a Rank or Ursa Diamond for the best SD results, or go back to your origional company and explain how you feel, they are still prooving themselves so may well want to keep you happy....

Olly

Hi;

Ha! OOOPS, sorry for the out of context reply, I got the wrong thread!

Olly