problem with frame rate

Dave Plake

Shot a music video...shot it with the 24pn setting as apposed to the 24p setting. It goes to post and I am told that I apparantly didn't shoot it at 29.97 because in editing they ended up having to play all the footage back at 80%. Is this because the camera was shooting at 23.97 and the dat was playing the music at 29.97? Or is there some other reason...or something else I screwed up in the HVX200 settings. I would have assumed that even if the camera did lay down a native 24fps signal onto the p2 card, the 3:2 pulldown in final cut would have corrected any sync issues. I am confused.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

They need to change their project to a 23.97 timeline. That should solve all their sync issues. 3:2 pulldown doesn't apply since the software assumes its 29.97. Alternativley they could (in premiere pro) right click the footage and click "Interpret Footage..." and set it to 23.97, though its easier to work with a native timeline.

Am Icorrect in thinking 24PN is 24P Native, so it is a full 24fps and not pulled down over 29.98 and therefore should be edited on a 24P timeline- no interpretation, pulldown, conversion etc required, until you output at 29.98. As for the audio, the timecode was probably layed down as 30FPS, so that's what the smartslate was displaying. In the digital world this should not affect playback speed. It's not like cutting on a Steenbeck where the film and mag sound reel physically run at the same speed. An audio file plays back at 48KHz, a frame at any framerate is just a unit of measure. I think you should still be able to sync the 30fps TC on the slate with the 29.98 TC embeded in the soundfile though this might be a littleb out.

Does that make sense?

Daniel