The Quiet

I haven't seen the movie but followed the thread from a posting on the DV forum. Very kind of you David to take the time to share your knowlege with us. I have not yet seen the movie but when I read -

(to have a movie narrated by a deaf-mute yet keep it a surprise that she was not really a deaf-mute until late in the movie.)

This was a film where the chance to work with Jamie Babbit and to shoot in Austin, TX sort of trumped my misgivings regarding the screenplay.

I had a thought. Has anyone considered texting the narration onto the screen up to the point of revealing the faked handicap? You could keep the narration and the secret at the same time.

I am sure that unless a new tradition is begun that allows for a cinematographer's cut it is too late for such thoughts but I just had to say it.

• Premium Member

I don't think a subtitled narration would work -- people don't like to read that much while watching a movie unless necessary to preserve the voice of the actor. You could, however, use an ironic third-person narrator, or have the narration be by the other girl that Elisha Cuthbert plays.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched this on DVD last night, and David, I must say that your work is very inspiring. I enjoyed it very much! It's nice to have someone like yourself in the position that you are in to share all your knowledge.