Camera Issues - consumer Super 8mm

Super 8 guy

I have recently purchased two consumer grade Super 8mm cameras, The Kodak XL33 and the Sears Reflex Zoom XL. Both sound like the motors are running but neither actually pick up film. I can't get either camera to have the plastic piece that winds the film to move. Any ideas? I know this is vague but hopefully enough info for someone to help out. Thanks

I have recently purchased two consumer grade Super 8mm cameras, The Kodak XL33 and the Sears Reflex Zoom XL. Both sound like the motors are running but neither actually pick up film. ...

The XL33 is one of the notorious Kodak cameras that has a rubbery plastic (or plastic-y rubber) gear on the motor that turns to powder with age. This same defective material afflicts the slide change linkage on early model Carousel slide projectors.

The only Kodak super-8 cameras that are safe to buy are the original M2 and M4 (and maybe other lower M number, maybe 6 and 8?) ones from 1965, and maybe the first Hawkeye Instamatic, which have Nylon or Delrin gears throughout and are likely to run forever.

The XL33 is one of the notorious Kodak cameras that has a rubbery plastic (or plastic-y rubber) gear on the motor that turns to powder with age. This same defective material afflicts the slide change linkage on early model Carousel slide projectors. ...

It's too bad that Kodak chose to make only cheap S8 cameras. Their still photography cameras were also generally not top quality. I don't know why they wouldn't want to offer a top quality line of cameras. I was wondering what you might know about Sankyo Cameras. I have a Super CM400 which is very well built. Do you know if its Gears are made of steel? I also have an Argus Camera with a defective 'Auto Aperture'. Do you know how I should go about taking the Lens off to fix it? I haven't attempted it for fear of breaking it.

... I was wondering what you might know about Sankyo Cameras. I have a Super CM400 which is very well built. ...

Sorry, I am not an expert on all possible cameras and don't know the answer. I have taken Kodak cameras and slide projectors apart when they quit working to investigate why.

I have a Sankyo CME 1100 and it's built like a tank, many times I've dropped it and it's just shrugged it off, ...

I think I'd suffer a heart attack if I ever dropped my precious Camera. Dropping is probably what happened to my Argus. This is why I wouldn't want to pay more than $40 dollars for a used Camera.