Kinoflex

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Hi all --

I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing the Kinoflex package from Pro8mm. Any one have any experience with/comments on this camera? Am I better off putting the purchase price towards on older Canon/Elmo/Nizo?

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

The Kinoflex is nothing more than a $50.00 low end russian camera with a Pro8mm "Kinoflex" name-plate and a HUGE mark-up. Instead, you should consider using the source where Pro8mm probably got them to begin with: http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/super_8_cameras.htm

Or, consider some of the rebuilt cameras that Spectra sells for those on a low budget: http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Cameras.html

good luck!

I had two Quarz 1x8S-2, I spend around 15$ for each. It's the same camera as the kinoflex.

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Zenit_Quarz_1x8S-2

It's a funny little camera, but the lens is very soft, and the iris-mechanisme is very fragile, I droped one from about 3 inches and the iris was dead...so I got a little angry and that's what happened to it

:D :D :D

It's nice camera to collect, but I wouldn't spent more than 30 bucks on it.

If you consider a low-priced camera to film with get a canon, nizo, elmo, eumig, bolex etc... I see them all the time on fleemarkets and in secondhandshops for pretty low prices...

cheers, Bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

I had two Quarz 1x8S-2, I spend around 15$ for each. It's the same camera as the kinoflex.

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Zenit_Quarz_1x8S-2

It's a funny little camera, but the lens is very soft, and the iris-mechanisme is very fragile, I droped one from about 3 inches and the iris was dead...so I got a little angry and that's what happened to it

:D :D :D

It's nice camera to collect, but I wouldn't spent more than 30 bucks on it.

If you consider a low-priced camera to film with get a canon, nizo, elmo, eumig, bolex etc... I see them all the time on fleemarkets and in secondhandshops for pretty low prices...

cheers, Bernhard

Why don't you try sending your camera over to Pro8 as a warranty repair?

Why do so may adverts say "Kinoflex copy" when referring to a Quarz? As I understand it the Kinoflex is an original Quarz re-labelled?

Does anyone have a spare pistol grip for one of these cameras (say from a broken one?) I would like to buy if possible.

Bernhard, do you still have the pistol grip from your now deceased camera?

Edited by Gerard Furber

I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing the Kinoflex package from Pro8mm. Any one have any experience with/comments on this camera? Am I better off putting the purchase price towards on older Canon/Elmo/Nizo?

The name of " Kinoflex " this is special export name of russian Super 8 cine camera Krasnogorsk factory Quarz 1x8S-2.

Krasnogorsk factory make a limit delivery of Quarz 1x8S-2 cameras with name of " Kinoflex " on UK.

Quarz 1x8S-2 russian Suepr 8 cine camera with zoom lens, auto and manual control of aperture, have a few speeds and mechanical clock spring motor.

The camera have aluminium body.

The camera can work without battery, because, the battery need for light meter and auto aperture control.

The manual aperture control have mechanical levers.

The set of camera have lens for close up shooting.

I compare of Quarz with a few other Super 8 cameras and can tell, Quarz have light viewfinder.

About condition of camera.

I service and adjust of many Quarz cameras.

I don't know, what service do PRO 8.

Quarz cameras not manufacture from 1992, and stoprage long time.

Thats' why, the Quarz need service, clean, lube, test of light meter and other procedures.

I sold of Quarz cameras after detailed service only.

Any case, Quarz 1x8S-2 camera very good Super 8 camera and manu users use of Quarz cameras now.

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Thanks for the information on the camera.

Anyone have any "stories from the field" about using the Quarz/Kinoflex?

Aaron

Anyone have any "stories from the field" about using the Quarz/Kinoflex?

some people use it with anamorphic adapters. when you screw off the zoomlens you get some kind of a flat front camera with focusfree lens thats around 20mm(can't remember), then you ad your adapter...

Due to wear of the control-mechanism speeds get pretty inaccurate (faster) on older cameras.

Besides all the minuses it wrote before, I somehow like the idea of a clock spring motor in a Super8 Camera. That's why I itent to mount the lenses from a carena zoomex 7610-IM on the quarz, maybe I'll get sharper images this way. The Carena has a similar lenssystem that acts also like a focusfree prime when you take off the lens in front...

back to your first question

Am I better off putting the purchase price towards on older Canon/Elmo/Nizo?

Yes

cheers, Bernhard

Two things about the Quarz = (1)unscrew the zoom lens and clean the outside surface of the lens half that is inside the camera body and then clean the backside of the removed lens. The gunk on those two surfaces makes for most of the soft image resolution. (2) screw the auto exposure. Use a light meter and set exposure manually for happy results.

unscrew the zoom lens and clean the outside surface of the lens half that is inside the camera body and then clean the backside of the removed lens. The gunk on those two surfaces makes for most of the soft image resolution.

my lenses were clean, results on both of my cameras were a little soft, I shot pretty open (between open and 4) maybe if you stop it further down it gets better, and contrast felt pretty flat, my other S8s give punchier contrast.

Maybe both of my Quarz 1x8S-2 had a problem. I had the same phenomenon on the Quarz DS8-3 that has the same lens(the DS8-3 was a little better but not very sharp either). I got better results on canon, bolex, eumig, even on the small and cheap ones. All this is very subjectiv, I never compared this cameras by filming charts etc... it's the subjectiv impression by looking the stuff I filmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bernhard!

The pistol grip arrived! I am very pleased with it- it fits the camera perfectly. If it was an ebay transaction I would give you excellent feedback!

Did the IRN BRU arrive OK?

Best wishes and many thanks,

GSF :D

Edited by Gerard Furber