A little confused about all this P2 and DVCProHD stuff...

Dory Breaux DP

So whats the deal with P2? It appears that mostly there 4 and 8 gig cards, but that's like what, a few minutes of compressed footage? Also, whats the low down on "DVCProHD"? How expensive are the tapes? I have heard that the HVX supports multiple frame rates for good slo-mo effects, and I have seen it used in a paintball video (in the "Critique my work" forum), but am wondering how many options there are. How many different image controls are there?

Thanks,

Dory

You'll find a lot of the info you need here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo...osite/index.asp

You can't record DVPRO HD onto tape with the HVX200. only onto P2. So you have to download each P2 and then reuse it to shoot more material. B & H have the 8 GB P2 for approx $1100.

DVPRO HD is the format used on Panasonic's high end cameras like the Varicam and has a lot less compression than HDV.

Ok, thanks. I really cant use P2 cards because my projects mostly consist of skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking, an8 gig cards just arnt enough for that. How good is the picture on MiniDV? Is the 720p varable framerate still avalble?

Thanks

720p, 1080i nor variable frame rates are available on tape with the HVX200. It only records miniDV to tape, so it's not really worth getting the camera unless you're planning to use it with P2 cards (i.e. there are *much* more affordable cameras out there that will give you equivalent quality miniDV). There are higher-capacity P2 cards on the way (up to 32GB), but expect to pay an arm and a leg for those. Even a modestly-equipped HVX200 package will easily run you $8-10K street price.

Here's a FAQ that may be helpful.

• Premium Member

The Mini-DV tape deck in the HVX200 only records standard definition video in the DV codec (480, not 720). Only the P2 cards record HD, in the DVCPRO-HD codec.

If you need an HD camera that records HD to tape, you need a different camera. But unless you're talking about a professional HDCAM (like the F900) or DVCPRO-HD (like the Varicam) camera, then you're talking about the HDV tape format.

The third alternative to P2 cards and the various HD tape formats is the Sony HD XDCAM camera, which records to discs. And the fourth alternative is recording to computer hard drives, etc.

• Premium Member

If you could get over the record to card issue, the variable frame rate features would work really well for the subject matter you mentioned. Unlike it's bigger brother, the Varicam, which does record HD to tape, this camera is able to easily replay slow or fast motion shots without further processing.

Remember that once a card is full, you can just copy it to a laptop or dedicated "firestore" to free up your card. If you have two cards, then this allows practically continuous running since one card is recording while the other is copying. Although that is a bit of a workload for one person up a mountain!

David Cox

www.baraka.co.uk

Yeah and thats alot fo poop to carry in a backpack!!! If I was just doing ski/snoboard I would consider it but carrying that stuff while doing 30mph on singletrack with bigger drops? thats a big fat N-O!

Well you can shoot 720pN with 2 8 gig cards, and get 40 minutes of footage in one shot. Rent a p2stor for a day, and you can dump the contents of the cards. its battery powered, fast,and the size of a brick. reltivy easy to carry around. this way you can capture like 2 and a half hours of footage per day.