Zoom for Super 16

Rickii Kapoor

Hi,

I own an SR3 camera with a Zeiss Vario Sonnar 11-110 original Super 16 lens. Have just purchased another SR3 Camera and want to buy a different lens from the above. Could some one advice me on which is a good Zoom to buy. I would prefer a longer lens as I am also in the precess of buying a set of MKIII Primes from 9.5 to 50mm, so would tend to use the zoom more for longer shots. Has anyone used the new Canon 10.5 -180 zoom? Unfortunately can't find any in the 'used' market. Alternately any opinion on the 11 - 165 Cannon as there are quite a few of those available.

Thanks,

Ricki

Hi, I own a SR 3 as well and a Canon 11-165 zoom. I am extremely pleased with the lens as it is sharp and relatively fast at T 2.5. Its my understanding that the newer Canon Zooms are only as fast as a T 2.7. I shot a feature last summer with the Canon 8-64 and 11.5-138. The 8-64 is sharp, fast (T2.4) and the wide field of view is great, but the lens flares too much. The image quality also always seemed to have a lower contrast to its imagery, so it never really matched well with our MK2 primes or the 11-138. The 11-138 however was fine. I previously owned a 11-120 Zeiss zoom. Its an affordable entry level zoom with an SR 1 or 2, but its definitely not as sharp as the mentioned Canon lens. I hear it also has collimation issues. I was considering to purchase the Angenieux 7-84 zoom, but it is more difficult to find used.

The longer range zoom is the newer model. They are both optically very nice, although they both lose some stop on the long end. There is a slight falloff in contrast and sharpness at the extreme telephoto on both, a bit more on the long of the 165. Essentially, in the identical ranges (up to 138) they are pretty much the same.

The 165 is the replacement for the 138. Both are based on Canon HD lenses. Some people like the 138 because it is physically a little lighter in weight.