TV Aspect Ratios: how wide is wide?

Mark Dunn

Having just acquired a widescreen TV, I note that most shows here are actually transmitted at a compromise 14:9. Filling the screen with the 'letterbox' button usually crops far too much off the top. 'ER' is acceptable, so are some 'Scope films, but generally I can't fill the screen without losing a big chunk of picture . What's the standard elsewhere- are you already getting true 16:9?

• Premium Member

Hi,

This has long been the case in the UK. I'd hazard that the majority of new programming is done ins 16:9, and is usually broadcast as such on terrestrial channels who've decided to do widescreen. Some do not (the history channel, for one) and their content, which is often few-months-old mainstream stuff, goes out in 14:9. More and more material is shot widescreen, though - one of the greatest holdouts in the UK was the channel four news, which recently went over to widescreen as it was a bastion of 4:3 in a channel which was otherwise almost universally 16:9.

Other stuff, mainly imports like Scrubs and The Simpsons, are and go out as 4:3. One of the biggest differences HD production has made in the UK is that American imports such as ER and the Star Trek series now appear as 16:9. It's not about it being higher res, it's about aspect ratio.

Phil

I've not looked at C4 News, but I have noticed that most stuff still goes out in 14:9. Except for the older shows you mentioned, I watch on 'zoom'; the only shows which satisfactorily fill the screen are those which air with a visible letterbox on 'zoom' and there aren't many. ER is the only one I can think of off-hand- CSI is still 14:9.