Z1 FX1, is it proggressive?

David Bradley

that's a matter of terminology and it should have been obvious from the first half of my sentence what i meant. i think the distinction is pointless. there are many ways of gathering 25p material, some good, some bad, most in-between. if the stream you get consists of 25 progressive frames per second i'm gonna continue calling it 25p. will you get better results with a true progressive ccd? probably. will you get better results shooting interlaced and creating the 25p in post? maybe. believe it or not either way it's not gonna change my mind. :-)

/matt

• Premium Member

You said "shoot 25P", that's all, which the camera cannot do. It can create it, though, from 50i. Same goes for the Canon XLH1 or any other interlaced-scan HD camera. I'm not debating the pros and cons of generating progressive-scan from interlaced-scan, just that you should be more precise in describing whether a camera actually "shoots" progressive-scan or not because it's not exactly the same thing (capturing progressive-scan versus converting to progressive-scan.) The distinction is not pointless -- that's why Sony uses the term "25F" afterall.

You said "shoot 25P", that's all, which the camera cannot do. It can create it, though, from 50i.

yes, i understand your point, and you're right of course. it's just that i mentioned in the same sentence that the camera doesn't have progressive ccd's so i don't see how anyone could misunderstand, hence i thought your comment became one about terminology only.

/matt

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Also the Sony HVR-V1U, the Panasonic HVX200, the little Canon H20. I think all the JVC HDV cameras do, but I'm not sure.

Of course, we're not listing the pro HD cameras that do.

Some of these HDV cameras record in 1080i, regardless of whether you shoot progressive scan. So 24P would get a pulldown and be recorded as 60i/1080.