Screencaps from my new short film

Guest Giles Sherwood

Guest Giles Sherwood

Hi everyone,

Here are some stills from the short film I just finished. It's called Lime, mint and it's about immature teenagers. The jpeg compression seems to have washed out the frames a little bit, but I'm too lazy to do the color correction right now. I need a break from the film :D

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

The look was inspired by polaroids and all those printed-up photos people get when they get their disposable camera pictures processed at CVS or wherever.

Cheers,

Giles

16mm?

I hope you were going for that REAL grittty-grain look, otherwise, I might suggest learning a bit

more about sufficient lighting and f-stops. but if you're going for that look then thats cool,

but I'd have to make more of an assessment of why you chose to do this for the right context

AND if it works for it....once I've seen the short.

cheers,

christian

Guest Giles Sherwood

Yeah, as soon as I can figure out some webspace I'm gonna post some sort of video.

I actually shot this on a HVX with a Redrock Nikon setup, but I'm glad you thought it was 16mm. I was shooting something like 1-4 stops underexposed most of the time to bring out the grain to that degree. I wanted to push it so the image almost fell apart, and actually when the pictures are in motion the changes in grain seem to create the illusion that the image is slightly sharper than it really is. Which is good.

It worked best in the scenes with the blue and green shadows, but I overdid it in the last shot in the list. I should have let in some more light from the huge windows in the room, but c'est la vie.

• 2 months later...

i think those stills are all powerful images... making something look pretty is easy-- and textbook as hell. being able to depict your subject as anything else is a mark of a truly talented photographer or cinematographer. the look seems well-suited for your one-line synopsis-- to me, the look evokes amatuer myspace non-camera flash portraiture, but with a sombering slant and a subtle (and assumingly conscious) use of light on the actors faces... though i hope the writing and acting is able to work with the imagery. i look forward to seeing the final.

Guest Giles Sherwood

Thanks, Jaan... and maybe Riku? hehe I couldn't tell if you were being complimentary or not. I'm still pretty pleased with the image, though I've been having a ton of problems compressing it for H.264 for the web and MPEG2 for DVD. The grain/noise structure is always completely destroyed as parts of it are either smoothed out or overly edge-enhanced. Also when the film is watched on a television the colors go absolutely crazy and the film looks completely awful. It looks great on a LCD production monitor... I wish everyone had one of those :x

I'm planning on getting video up on the web within the week though, so stay tuned. It won't be HD, but I actually ran into fewer problems at a lower resolution, so it should look pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Giles Sherwood

Heyyy

So I was finally able to upload the film. It's H.264 compressed for video iPods. It looks great on the actual iPod screen, but I'm worried the whole thing is tinted a little blue and pretty washed out overall on CRT monitors. Does anyone know how to compensate for the gamma H.264 and/or MPEG-2 seem to add to the image?

http://www.holographicdesign.com/giles/index.html It's 182mb.

**Please right-click and download the film to view it. If you don't, your browser will just open up a bunch of ASCII garbage that might crash your broswer. I'm not sure how to fix that.

So, yeah, hopefully I'm not embarrassing myself with this compression of the film. There's nothing like the feeling of getting it to look great on a 17" Panasonic HD production monitor only to have it look like garbage on DVD. :\

Lemme know whats up.

• 2 weeks later...