possible with optical printing??

Liam Dale

Ok, everyone. I never have used an optical printer before, but I am familiar with the basic idea and could gain access to one at my uni (and also technical assistance for basic workings with the OP). What I want to accomplish is this: If one were to divide the 16mm frame into three columns and three rows I would like to optically print one frame of super-8 film into each one of the nine squares. I chose super-8 because I think it would ease the pressure on the optical printer to shrink the image because it would already be using a smaller one. Is it possible to shrink the super-8 frame down the neccesary level? Is it possible to accurately control the placement of the super-8 image within the 16mm frame? (maybe with some sort of matte?) I realize that this could probably be accomplished much easier if I were to just telecine the super-8 footage and do the manipulations in a computer, but if it would be possible to keep the process entirely on film I would prefer attempting to do that. If there is somewhere else, better, that I could ask this please let me know as well. Thanks, all.

Liam

• Premium Member

It would actually be easier to shoot the elements in 16mm and reduce them down, if you have a 16mm-to-16mm optical printer. Otherwise, you need a Super-8 to 16mm optical printer.

Also, by shooting in 16mm, you can make low-contrast color-timed IP dupes from the original negs to put in the positive projector side of the optical printer, rather than reversal positive original Super-8 elements. Plus you'll have better image stability working with 16mm elements.

It would actually be easier to shoot the elements in 16mm and reduce them down, if you have a 16mm-to-16mm optical printer. Otherwise, you need a Super-8 to 16mm optical printer.

Also, by shooting in 16mm, you can make low-contrast color-timed IP dupes from the original negs to put in the positive projector side of the optical printer, rather than reversal positive original Super-8 elements. Plus you'll have better image stability working with 16mm elements.

so you are saying that it is possible to 1) reduce the images to fit, and 2) place those reduces images in the appropriate places - just that it would look better if I stayed solely in 16mm? Thanks for the response.

• Premium Member
so you are saying that it is possible to 1) reduce the images to fit, and 2) place those reduces images in the appropriate places - just that it would look better if I stayed solely in 16mm? Thanks for the response.

I think you need to do some reading on optical printing. Resizing is a fairly common use although I don't know all the functions available on your school's optical printer. This is one of those things though that you can't just pick-up over a weekend; you might be getting over your head. Talk to whoever is teaching optical printing at your school.

I go to SFSU and had optical printing last semester. I wanted to do this too however I ran out of time (19 units, a part time job and working on film crews will do that to you). However a class mate, the Optical Printing, Avante Garde, Experimental film genius, did just that with 12 squares. 3 rows of 4 columns. All he did was create a mask with tapes and repositioned everything. We have JK-105 Printer which allows for zooms, rotation of the projector, and 8mm orr 16mm film. So yes, it's possible but it takes a long time and you just have to really preproduction it out.

Personally, I <3 Optical printing.

Ok, everyone. I never have used an optical printer before, but I am familiar with the basic idea and could gain access to one at my uni (and also technical assistance for basic workings with the OP). What I want to accomplish is this: If one were to divide the 16mm frame into three columns and three rows I would like to optically print one frame of super-8 film into each one of the nine squares. I chose super-8 because I think it would ease the pressure on the optical printer to shrink the image because it would already be using a smaller one. Is it possible to shrink the super-8 frame down the neccesary level? Is it possible to accurately control the placement of the super-8 image within the 16mm frame? (maybe with some sort of matte?) I realize that this could probably be accomplished much easier if I were to just telecine the super-8 footage and do the manipulations in a computer, but if it would be possible to keep the process entirely on film I would prefer attempting to do that. If there is somewhere else, better, that I could ask this please let me know as well. Thanks, all.

Liam

Thanks for the replys. Unfortunately while I would have access to an optical printer there isnt anyone at my university who teaches its use, but I am going to try and find out who knows the most. Are there any particular books or resources that I could look up to learn more about the use of an optical printer?

Thanks for the replys. Unfortunately while I would have access to an optical printer there isnt anyone at my university who teaches its use, but I am going to try and find out who knows the most. Are there any particular books or resources that I could look up to learn more about the use of an optical printer?

if it is a JK105 or JK03 they should have a manual you can get. My school has them tethered with the machine or you can contact the vendor. THe lower end optical printers you usually find in universities are the JK's and they're very easy to use. Maybe a 20min learning curve but I learned it by myself. Just read the manual cover to cover, go slow and test it out.