nom de guerre - so long sister

Matt Sandstrom

hey,

the music video i posted some stills from a few weeks ago has now been released. it will be on scandinavian tv as well as the usual websites soon. go to my homepage and click nom de guerre. (other super 8 work on that page are the short film sisten i är en skit and the videos for lisa lindal and 1978 if you're interested)

http://www.mattias.nu/

/matt

• Premium Member
hey,

the music video i posted some stills from a few weeks ago has now been released. it will be on scandinavian tv as well as the usual websites soon. go to my homepage and click nom de guerre. (other super 8 work on that page are the short film sisten i är en skit and the videos for lisa lindal and 1978 if you're interested)

http://www.mattias.nu/

/matt

I've always thought it would be neat to do an expanding music video. What I mean is it slowly morphs into a different music video as it airs over a few weeks time. In this music video, the girl is sort of caged in her room, angry but wanting to get out, but if you shot a few scenes of her starting to pursue her "quarry", it would make people do a double take as they view the video a second and third time and see a story line that they don't recall seeing before.

By the end of the "expansion" or the final music video version, she's caught her man, and suddenly they are at the altar and the final shot of the three guys running away is a mere reflection as the camera zooms out of the brides eyes (or perhaps the grooms eyes), and we see that the best men are his band partners.

Um, then he wakes up in a cold sweat, or not.

--------------------

One shot that I really liked for the strategy of it was the dolly wide shot that had the round red line of the basketball court a the bottom of the frame. The reason that I liked that shot was I had not yet realized that it was a basketball court and suddenly it was revealed to me. Maybe on regular viewing I notice earlier on, but on the internet, I liked how that shot revealed it was a basketball court.

if you shot a few scenes of her starting to pursue her "quarry", it would make people do a double take as they view the video a second and third time and see a story line that they don't recall seeing before.

that's the idea. not sure what you mean by if though. i did shoot that. ;-) i've told the band that if they let me do their next video we'll include a shot or two where you can see this chase continuing in the background.

suddenly they are at the altar

ah, "incest - fun for the whole family"?

One shot that I really liked for the strategy of it was the dolly wide shot that had the round red line of the basketball court a the bottom of the frame. The reason that I liked that shot was I had not yet realized that it was a basketball court and suddenly it was revealed to me. Maybe on regular viewing I notice earlier on, but on the internet, I liked how that shot revealed it was a basketball court.

cool. yeah you're supposed to notice after a while. i thought people would sooner though, but it doesn't matter. maybe it's an internet thing as you say.

thanks a lot for the feedback.

/matt

• Premium Member
that's the idea. not sure what you mean by if though. i did shoot that. ;-) i've told the band that if they let me do their next video we'll include a shot or two where you can see this chase continuing in the background.

ah, "incest - fun for the whole family"?

cool. yeah you're supposed to notice after a while. i thought people would sooner though, but it doesn't matter. maybe it's an internet thing as you say.

thanks a lot for the feedback.

/matt

In the U.S., so long sister is also a "phrase", lol, I didn't realize it was a literal translation. I was assuming they were boyfriend and girlfriend but that he was saying "so long sister, I'm outta here".

In the U.S., so long sister is also a "phrase"

oh here too, that's why it's the title of the song. it's just that if you listen to the lyrics it's obvious that she's really his sister. "i have hated you since you were twelve ... you have hated me since i was born ... sibling rivalry" and so on. it doesn't matter though. one should be able to enjoy a pop song without listening to the lyrics, and the same goes for the video. he's running and she's angry, that all there is to it. :-)

/matt

• Premium Member
oh here too, that's why it's the title of the song. it's just that if you listen to the lyrics it's obvious that she's really his sister. "i have hated you since you were twelve ... you have hated me since i was born ... sibling rivalry" and so on. it doesn't matter though. one should be able to enjoy a pop song without listening to the lyrics, and the same goes for the video. he's running and she's angry, that all there is to it.

/matt

My internet computer doesn't have external speakers hooked up so the audio isn't that loud and even though I got the gist of the song I didn't recognize those lyrics the first time through. I was more focusing on the visuals and then trying to give comments based on only seeing the video once, so I guess I was destined to miss that aspect of the song, ooops. :blink:

Since that wasn't his ex-girlfriend, definitely would not go the route I suggested above. However, a set of younger actors as brother and sister at a earlier age (which I recall you have easily handled before), might give the video a bit of a comedic tone to it, not sure if the group would want comedy however.

Wow! Very nice!

I like this clip very much!!! really good shots and editing, that's look really great! the song is nice too.

I also like the shot Alessandro Machi was talking about, that was terrific.

Can you tell more about the production?

I hopfuly will shoot a short film on April with super 8mm film, I will have only 300ft of Kodak Vision2 200T. I have a script that I wrote 5 months, but I'm still thinking if to use it or to write a new script about different story, what is good with the script I have now is that there is only voice over, so I won't need to deal with synchronizing.

Good job man! :)

B)-->

QUOTE(Raz B @ Feb 27 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you tell more about the production?

thanks, sure. i directed and did the concept and production design, dp was david grehn, makeup by jessica, don't remember her last name silly me, and that was the entire crew. we shot 11 rolls of 64t, 2 of the sister, 3 running and 6 syncing.

the sister's room was built in our small studio space and lit with two bounced redheads and a halogen clamp light, in retrospect more was needed because it became too grainy even for my taste. it's better to light and push down in post when shooting reversal. or not light at all and let it go black. dark areas just look muddy.

the running was shot from the back of a saab 9000, see if you can see the exhaust at one point, it's fairly obvious. no additional lighting which was a calculated "mistake". there's way too much contrast in any outdoor environment for 64t to handle. if you expose for the shadows the whole image flares and if you try to protect the highlights the shadows go completely black -- we got some of both. we were able to make it look good in telecine but at the expense of more grain. just a 575w hmi would have been nice. i've use them before on similar shoots and aimed right at the face it adds just the glow you need even in bright daylight.

finally the gymnasium. we left the overhead fluorescents on near the walls to make them green and flickery, but lit the center with two 2x800 spacelights. backlight was a redhead with some kind of ocean colored theatrical gel, and a dimmed frosted redhead was mounted on the tripod for fill. the tripod was put on wheels so we could dolly whenever and wherever we wanted. i wanted everything to be constantly moving.

my camera (canon 814e) runs at 24fps, steadily enough to hold sync for several second, but we telecined to 25fps pal so we played the music 4% slower on the set. it went very well and the slightly sped up look added to the feeling of the video i think.

the rolls were processed by andec in berlin and telecine was an attended best light to minidv at uppsala bildteknik near stockholm. they use a flashscan.

i edited the video on final cut pro then output to uncompressed and onlined in after effects. just some minor color corrections, grain reduction on the sister scenes, and some slight reframings.

and then i uploaded it to my website. :-)

total budget was around $1000.

any questions?

/matt

You told everything I wanted to know :) thanks.

I have a problem with the 24fps, I live in Israel and we are also using here PAL systems, but I can't afford telecine right know for the short I'm going to do, so I will do it with a projector and 3CCD video camera but the problem is that when it runs at 24fps it looks horrible so I will need to set the projector at 18fps and then in After Effects I will need to speed it up, it won't look so good but until I will send it for telecine it will be fine...

The budget here in Israel for a video clip is usually about $1,000 to $3,000 and sometimes $4,000, but there are also the expensive clips like anywhere...

I saw now also 1978 and it look also very nice!!, the shots done really well.

Is it easy to use the Canon 814e's viewfinder? I have the Canon 514xl-s and it's viewfinder is a bit uncomfortable...