new reel

Josh Silfen

Hi,

I am in the process of recutting my reel and I was hoping to get some feedback on what to leave in and what to take out. It's still pretty rough and I know it could be better cut with the music. I'm also still playing with the H264 quicktime settings to try to achieve the best results (everything looks a little bright on my computer), but please let me know if there are any shots that don't belong or look unprofessional. It's hard to get a sense of perspective when you're cutting your own reel. Thanks a lot for your help.

-Josh Silfen

http://www.joshsilfen.com/reelbnew1.mov

I think the cuts on the first three shots should be tightened up, they last way too long and don't get the reel of to a good start.

The shot at 48s is really nice, nice color

I'm not a big fan of the bike sequence. It might just be the zooming into the wheel that irks me

Overall I like it. As for the encoding and the video looking bright: I viewed it in the browser with quicktime and it looked washed out, however I saved it and viewed it with VLC and the brightness went way down. Some of the shots that had looked blown out now look really good. Maybe that helps you out I don't know. Good Luck.

Actually, I didn't mean to say you should excise the pool sequence, just don't open w/ it. Which parts of the reel are mini-DV; they seem to have held up really well.

Also, I really liked the layout of your website; thumbnails along w/ the resume are really great.

Edited by Jon Rosenbloom

When I said it looked bright on my computer, that was from a version I encoded earlier. I replaced that one with a better-encoded one, so I think it looks ok now.

Which parts of the reel are mini-DV; they seem to have held up really well.

The band performing on stage from the music video is HDV from the Sony Z1. Most of the stuff after that is DVX100 (with and without PS Techniks Mini 35 adapter) except for the supermarket stuff and the last 2 shots, which are 16mm.

Thanks a lot for your helpful feedback.

-Josh