Super 8 film and 2K digital intermediate to 35mm film

Michael Ryan

What has not been tested or tried on S16 that you would like to see?

May be Fujichrome Astia 100F and Fujichrome T64 reformated to Super-16mm. Should look really nice.

Concerning scanners, I think Arri Scan would have been a very good way to get true 2K RGB 10 bit log data from super8mm media. Unfortunately there is no option for any 8mm format on that scanner.

Whilst Spirit Datacine gives an overall good quality of image, the lack of a proper super-8 optical "vision-gate" (with super-8 optics) at scanner stage do not allow Spirit to resolve more than 45% of the horizontal resolution, per manufacturer specifications.

Can you give us some specifics on the lens. I've tried to find it on the net without success. Keep up the good work.

Hello,

The lens is a Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* designed for Contax SLR 35mm photo camera.

The lens opens at T 2.8 and its focal length is 85mm.

The lens was made on the late 70's aprox. and was fitted to the Pro8mm camera through a Contax/Yashica SLR to C-mount adapter. (adapter bought from Century optics)

Concerning web-site, it will be on-air by 18th March, so I will post the link once the web-site is active.

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic

obviously, but its also not really helpful or useful for reasons that should also be obvious.

I think it's an interesting experiment, and daring experiments can be useful.

No I don't expect to see many S8 features at the local multiplex now (not that I give a flying f*** about 90 % of what plays at the local multiplex....)

-Sam

"Don't you find it fascinating that when it comes to table top scanners a super-8 frame may require a higher resolution scanner than 16mm or 35mm even though the super-8 frame is smaller and has less resolution."

This is similar to the relationship between the size of the film format and the resolving power of the optics required to produce good results. It's well known that in still photography, lenses designed for 35mm film have extremely high resolving power because of the high magnifications needed in this format when printing. Medium format lenses generally have lower resolving power because magnification in this format is usually less, compared to 35mm. And large format lenses have even less resolving power - but the quality of the images are still amazing!

Going back to super 8, when discussing the acquisition of commercially made prints (movies, cartoons and travelogues etc), I have seen quite a few impressive looking prints in super 8 and also quite a few soft prints in this format also. However, the vast majority of commercially made 16mm prints that I have seen are of very good quality. I have only come across two soft 16mm prints in the 10 years that I have been collecting and hiring 16mm prints. The reason behind the varied quality in super 8 prints is obvious - the super 8 frame is tiny and so you need an extremely high quality print to get a nice, sharp images. In 16mm, this is less critical because of the larger frame. For while, I was a bit hesitant whenever considering buying super 8 prints because from my experience, I found that quality was a bit hit and miss. Though when buying 16mm prints, I found that the quality of the prints were usually quite good most of the time.

(not that I give a flying f*** about 90 %

-Sam

Hey Sam could you keep from expressing your thoughts in this manner. Could the webmaster please remove or edit this please. Our children or Grandchildren might want to visit this site. Thanks.

It can be beneficial to not limit the discussion to the absolute economic likelihood of something happening since many times nobody knows what the economic parameters are. Wouldn't you agree that it made no sense for Fuji to stop making inkjet printable dvd's since the inkjet printable market is still rapidly growing? Yet that's what Fuji has apparently done.

I've never burnt a DVD, let alone inkjet printed on one. Nor do I see it happening in the near future.

So I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on that.

Don't you find it fascinating that when it comes to table top scanners a super-8 frame may require a higher resolution scanner than 16mm or 35mm even though the super-8 frame is smaller and has less resolution. I can't figure it out so to me what costs most does not answer the actual question. Do the principles that apply to table top scanner technology also apply when transferring film to video or does some other principle or law of physics take over?

As I understand a table top scanner, the scannee is passed over a linear array of CCD pixels.

Scanning S8 that way would use fewer horizontal pixels. One could compare it to scanning to SD instead of HD, that is merely an analogy.

To get the most out of the S8 frame, it needs to have at least the same number of horizontal pixels as 16mm or 35mm.

Hello,

So here is the web-site address (under construction), now active with only the poster image of the project for this sunday's free public 35mm projections in Santiago de Chile.

By Sunday technical documents should be on-line as well, and by late March, a lot of other documents including the technical paper also available. Video quicktime preview of fragment of the film will also be available on late march/early april.

Regards,

Daniel

www.filmhalogenuros.cl

Thanks Steve. Aprox. 1000 free tickets will be available in total on this sunday sunday projections. The projection will be on 35mm with Dolby Digital sound. The prints are new, they were only seen one time at Quality Control theatre at Park Road Post. At the moment I don't have any distributor for the short-film and also do not have the funds to make an english 35mm release. International screening may occur if the short get selected on festivals. If it get selected, it will be easier to encounter funds for english print release etc...

Bye bye and good luck,

Daniel

• Premium Member

Daniel,

Now that you are wrapping up "THE HALOGENUROS PROJECT" will you have time to produce a short piece for our collaborative project "Citizen Super 8"? http://www.workhorse.tv/citizensuper8.html

We would be thrilled to have a contribution from you. Please consider joining us...

Steve

Not a this time I believe. Thank you anyway.

I think it is a good idea that the project you mention is recommending to use Vision2 50D (Pro8/01) and HD transfer. The combination of both parameters offers a rich image in terms of colour. That emulsion is very fine grained even in Super-8 and resolves a lot of fine details. I like very much the fact that the emultion is not as contrasty as the previous 50 ASA stock from Kodak (5242 EXR 50D) and at the same time the "01" emultion offers wide exposure latitude. That stock also offers nice images if completely desaturated to black and white, as it do have very good shades of grey separation. This is a really nice new film emultion. I don't understand well, why Eastman Kodak do not release the emultion on Super-8.

Bye bye,

Daniel

• Premium Member

... I agree. While I have not shot 7201 on super 8, I have shot a lot of it on My Bell and Howell 16mm MOS camera with very satisfying results..

Good luck with your projects!

Steve

previous 50 ASA stock from Kodak (5242 EXR 50D)

I wanted to write 5245, typo error ! sorry.

Concerning the poster of Halogenuros project

www.filmhalogenuros.cl

Top image :

Carl Zeiss High Speed lens

Pro8/01

Mid left image :

Digital composition, made through a matte that was shot with 7217 (super-8) and Carl Zeiss 35mm photo lens

The cloud layers were shot on Pro8/05 (vision2 250D) and Carl Zeiss 35mm photo lens. Those layers were processed through QUtility Average.

Mid right image :

The bird was shot with Pro8/05 and Carl Zeiss 35mm photo lens.

Bottom image :

The dancer was shot with Pro8/01 and Ultra Prime lens for Super 35mm format.

This image is a digital composition shot with blue screen (Rosco Digicomp blue fabric). The background was also shot with Pro8/01 and Ultra Prime lens, but was processed through QUtility Average.

All the original neg. was scanned at 2K RGB 10 bits log on Spirit Datacine, processed on eQ as RGB 10 bits log, cropped to 1920x1032 and then film recorded to 2242 35mm intermediate film via Arri Laser. Positive was made on 2383 standard print material. Some 35mm positive frames were then scanned on a Crossfield drum scanner at around 12.000 dpi. Those digital files were used for the poster, in order to represent somewhat final quality that is seen on the 35mm projection.

Regards,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
Our children or Grandchildren might want to visit this site.

and somebody saying that they don't give a fu-ck stops them from doing that? and with all due respect (who am i kidding) i'm not sure i want people who's parents and grandparents think so to read anything i write anyway.

/matt

EDIT: i forgot i was on tv. dash added. mistake corrected. :-)

Edited by Matt Sandstrom

• Premium Member
Hey Sam could you keep from expressing your thoughts in this manner. Could the webmaster please remove or edit this please. Our children or Grandchildren might want to visit this site. Thanks.

Sam's from Jersey, that's not a curse word there. :P

and somebody saying that they don't give a fu-ck stops them from doing that? and with all due respect (who am i kidding) i'm not sure i want people who's parents and grandparents think so to read anything i write anyway.

/matt

EDIT: i forgot i was on tv. dash added. mistake corrected. :-)

I've run into this before on other forums and I know I come off in a way that most of you may roll your eyes and perhaps call me a fundementalist or a mentalist. But hear me out. I don't believe for a second that with a your living room full of your guests including children that you'd be looked at as some sort of hero with the language you are proudly and arrogantly displaying hear as exemplitory. If you feel I'm wrong, go pollute your own home and see the results before you come here and make it an "R" rated public site. Be a man, think of the young before yourself. Thank you.