A music video I recently made and submitted to Spielberg's reality show...

Jeff Ray

Hey guys,

So like most young filmmakers out there I submitted whatever my last project was and was hoping to see if there are any other filmmakers who submitted their stuff as well. I'd love your thoughts and opinions, and I'm looking for to get reviews on the site as well. The aspect ratio got messed up, so if you want to watch and rate it on the site but want to see a proper quicktime version, I'll post one below as well. Shot on stock HVX.

Thelot.com link: here

Quicktime link: here

Here's a still frame from the video:

dynahstill2ds7.jpg

• Premium Member

Looks good! If a bit cliche'd... :P

Only a couple things bugged me though;

1) The image diffusion seemed arbitrary and distracting. Some of the images are so crisp that the post diffusion really jumps out, and looks very "affected."

2) For being black and white and fairly flat-lit outdoors, a shallower depth of field would have helped give depth and snap to the compositions. I know it's tough with a 1/3" chip, but you were able to do some nice shallow shots during the band performance.

I'm glad to see the 80's are back ;)

Great job. Excellent tonal range. I might agree with the diffusion comment, but overall it didn't bother me.

Are you in or around Austin? I recognize on of your actors.

Thanks for the comments guys.

And Joseph, yeah I shot this in Austin (moved here about 2 years ago after graduating high school in Dallas).

Which actor do you recognize? And the performance footage was shot in the never completed Intel building off 5th Street. Which was nice, because we were the last people to film there before they started to tear it down.

Jay, I recognized Scott Stevens as the man with the bullhorn. I shot a commercial with him last month. Great guy. Funny as hell.

I heard the explosions last week from the intel building. It's amazing to see it now, just a big pile of concrete. I'm amazed it isn't going to fall over onto the street... it's pretty crazy. That's great you were able to utilize it before the implosion. That thing was SUCH an eyesore!

Yeah, the stuff he was saying while he was "preaching" was pretty raunchy, but we couldn't stop laughing. I think it added to it because we were shooting in front of a church and he was talking about ripping off people's heads and "Deflowering" them.

I've been in Dallas the past week, but they finally blew the thing up huh? Good.

i enjoyed it. althought to be a little honest i watched it on the lots website and i kinda of liked it as 4:3, for the most part atleast.

Oh how I hate 4:3...I guess I messed up the dimensions when uploading to their site. Surprised you like it that way on a Photography forum. Any particular reason why?

Hey guys,

So like most young filmmakers out there I submitted whatever my last project was and was hoping to see if there are any other filmmakers who submitted their stuff as well. I'd love your thoughts and opinions, and I'm looking for to get reviews on the site as well. The aspect ratio got messed up, so if you want to watch and rate it on the site but want to see a proper quicktime version, I'll post one below as well. Shot on stock HVX.

Thelot.com link: here

Quicktime link: here

Here's a still frame from the video:

dynahstill2ds7.jpg

I think that it looks cool, Jeff!

1. On the close-up of the eye opening, where was the camera and focal length? It looks a

little soft which doesn't bother me but I'm wondering if you accepted the softness to get in

that tightly and fill the frame.

2. How do you get that effect of having the red balloon in an otherwise black and white

picture? I use Final Cut Pro and would love to know.

3. "I like it, apart from the filter used in the beginning shot. The one that blurs the edges."

--------------------

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Kent, UK

I read the above quote and looked at the first two shots and couldn't really notice this.

At one point I thought that the mask in the street was getting softer edges but it seemed

so subtle that I wondered if I imagined it. Is this effect in there and what kind of

filter did you use and did other people see it or miss it?

• Premium Member

A friend of mine, who I mentioned in an earlier post on another thread recently got a second call-back. Apparently they've given him some sort of challenge to complete. Not sure when they are choosing the final contestants.

You're video looks cool!

Good Luck!

A friend of mine, who I mentioned in an earlier post on another thread recently got a second call-back. Apparently they've given him some sort of challenge to complete. Not sure when they are choosing the final contestants.

You're video looks cool!

Good Luck!

That's great! Do you know what film he submitted? I'd like to check it out. Congrats!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Oh how I hate 4:3...I guess I messed up the dimensions when uploading to their site. Surprised you like it that way on a Photography forum. Any particular reason why?

well i think that certain cinematography should embrace all aspect rations and not be limited to widescreen. i think widescreen has just become such a standard that it has lost its edge. 4:3, to me, shows that beauty can be shown through a not so cinematic frame. It feels more unique to me seeing it in 4:3. I just recently shot a Victoria's Secret Spec Commercial and i shot 4:3 @ 1280x960 and i think it works and im happy with the look.

You're video looks cool!

Good Luck!

You realize thats a 5 million dollar fine? :) Dont ask me how i know.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow....

I love your video. I can't believe how clean the blacks are from that camera!!!

Your imagery is great, your camera work is beautiful.

You shoot like an artistic still photographer.... you have the image composition tell the story rather than the motion.... very nicely done.

• 9 months later...

I think it looks really great I would love to know what settings you used to get this, I like the diffusion in some of the frames its more soft and film looking. I also would like to know about the red balloon! What settings were those?

Thank & Great job!

Wow....

I love your video. I can't believe how clean the blacks are from that camera!!!

Your imagery is great, your camera work is beautiful.

You shoot like an artistic still photographer.... you have the image composition tell the story rather than the motion.... very nicely done.