Sekonic dual exposure meter (the 558)

Gabriel Cortez

Hello everyone,

People say that the spotmeter on the sekonics is calibrated to 13% grey instead of 18%, and thus underexposes when taking a reading from a kodak grey card. It would seem that the incident readings are correct though. (note: the combi sekonics use two separate photosensitive cells)

Is this true about the 13% thing? Are you aware of it? And if you are, did any of you had their meter recalibrated/compensated accordingly? I mean, in the end, an incident reading and a spotmeter reading of an 18% greycard should be equal, but it seems that with the sekonics it doesnt.

I'm using the L-558 Dualmaster, but I assume the same is true for the 608 etc.

Please shed some light on this one for me! Can't trust my meter anymore :(

test it. if you have the 558. get a 18% grey card and read an incident reading off of it, then a spot reading. if it gives you different values, first consider your factors: is your lighting environment completely controlled? is your grey card lit flat and even? is your lumisphere retracted in or out? are you spotting from the same direction as your incident reading? and so forth. best way to find out is to test. the last reason you could be getting different readings (if you are) is that the meter needs to be recalibrated. ive been told atleast once a year. Ive never heard of a difference with the spot and incident.

Edited by Darrin P Nim

Darrin,

Of course I tested the meter with my own greycard (which is brand new btw, purchased it recently from kodak), in the studio, lit by the book, no doubt about that. And yes, I did hold the meter properly when taking the reading, was very careful about that, even repeated the test on a shoot a few days ago because I was very much intrigued with this.

• Premium Member
Darrin,

Of course I tested the meter with my own greycard (which is brand new btw, purchased it recently from kodak), in the studio, lit by the book, no doubt about that. And yes, I did hold the meter properly when taking the reading, was very careful about that, even repeated the test on a shoot a few days ago because I was very much intrigued with this.

My 558 is within 1/3 of a stop. Ball in / old greycard, nice meter :)