Films shot on Super 16

Martin Yernazian

This is an amazing thread!

Andrew Bujalski's first two films Funny Ha-ha (2002) and Mutual Appreciation (2005) were shot on R16. His third film Beeswax (2009) was shot on Super16. These films have amazing cinematography by DP Matthias Grunsky.

He also shot Bujalski's latest film Computer Chess (2013) on 1980s video cameras and there is short sequence in the middle of the film that was shot on R16 (when a couple of the characters are high).

Also, Richard Linklater's Slacker and Peter Jackson's Bad Taste were shot on R16.

Does anyone know of some good shorts or features shot on 16mm Tri-X that I might be able to watch online? I'm thinking about shooting my next film on it, and all I can seem to find is the classic freshman Bolex projects, which I've seen far too much of already. Ideally I'm looking for something shot by someone who actually knows lighting and camera.

Does anyone know of some good shorts or features shot on 16mm Tri-X that I might be able to watch online? I'm thinking about shooting my next film on it, and all I can seem to find is the classic freshman Bolex projects, which I've seen far too much of already. Ideally I'm looking for something shot by someone who actually knows lighting and camera.

Tri-X is not really a very commercial look so doesn't tend to attract professional cinematographers! ;)

I love the way it looks tho!

Freya

• Premium Member

My favorite main-stream 16mm film of recent memory is:

Moonrise Kingdom

Shot with Aaton cameras; Aaton A-Minima, Zeiss Super Speed and Canon Lenses. Aaton Xterà, Zeiss Super Speed and Canon Lenses. Kodak Vision3 200T 7213

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay Ti West's "The House of the Devil" gets my vote for recent film shot on Super16 that has really impressed me.

It might even beat out Black Swan.

It's a period film set in the 80's but it also really does look like a 35mm 80's horror movie!

Absolutely love this movie. :)

Freya