Finally a website

Hi Marcel,

I went to it on a PC and when it opened, it was 3 times wider than the computer screen.

Hi Tim

The side scrolling is on purpose. A bit like a timeline or a widescreen image...

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Marcel

• Premium Member

Marcel!

Your clips should be compressed for streaming and fast start. As it is now, the whole clip has to download before it can play. Not many will stick around for that. I did and it took at least 4-5minutes for it to download (which also suggests that the file is a bit too big and could use better compression).

I compress using the new H264 codec, which is a very efficient and fast streaming codec that doesn't compromise quality that much (it's the same codec they're using in the new BluRay HD DVD's). Either that or Sorenson 3, which is another tried and trued codec.

Marcel!

Your clips should be compressed for streaming and fast start. As it is now, the whole clip has to download before it can play. Not many will stick around for that. I did and it took at least 4-5minutes for it to download (which also suggests that the file is a bit too big and could use better compression).

I compress using the new H264 codec, which is a very efficient and fast streaming codec that doesn't compromise quality that much (it's the same codec they're using in the new BluRay HD DVD's). Either that or Sorenson 3, which is another tried and trued codec.

Hi Adam

Thanks, I do need to tweak some of the clips. Many thanks.

Marcel

André many thanks as well.

Edited by Marcel Zyskind

> I have website.

Hi Marcel,

Out of the features i have seen think "In this world" had the most impact on me. The photography was so realistic and so dramatic. Congratulations.

I enjoyed the commercials also.

I echo Adam's comments about the compression. They really are too big. Streaming is imperative with online reels.

Congrats again. Your work as a DP really stands out.

James.

> I have website.

Hi Marcel,

Out of the features i have seen think "In this world" had the most impact on me. The photography was so realistic and so dramatic. Congratulations.

I enjoyed the commercials also.

I echo Adam's comments about the compression. They really are too big. Streaming is imperative with online reels.

Congrats again. Your work as a DP really stands out.

James.

Hi James

I have followed Adam's advice and used the H264 codec for the commercials and music videos on the site. I think it has helped.

Thanks for your nice words.

Marcel

Wow some very impressive work on there!

I didn't know we had another "big" DOP like David Mullen on this board.

R,

Cool,

Just wondering if the file sizes for your bigger format pictures like Code 46 is a little to small now (just to be contradictory) - you kinda loose the scale and quality of them.

But some brilliant stuff and presented in an elagent way.

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

• 2 weeks later...
Cool,

Just wondering if the file sizes for your bigger format pictures like Code 46 is a little to small now (just to be contradictory) - you kinda loose the scale and quality of them.

But some brilliant stuff and presented in an elagent way.

Hi Andy

Yes, I would actually like to have the trailers in better quality on there. To be honest I've nicked most of them of the web. I don't really know how to rip the trailers of my dvd's. If anyone have any suggestions I'll be happy to hear your advice.

Hi,

I love the The Raveonettes video! How did you manipulate the colours so that the foreground and background was different?

Hi Morgan

If I'm thinking of what I think you're thinking then if you look at the wide performance shots we had a yellow gel on the left backlight. When the images were desaturated the yellow changed to a more neutral feel and the keylight which was ungelled became more desaturated.

So basically the answer is a gel on the left backlight.

All the best

Marcel

Richard you're too kind.

• Premium Member
I don't really know how to rip the trailers of my dvd's. If anyone have any suggestions I'll be happy to hear your advice.

a good low tech way is to hook up a minidv camera to your dvd player and just hit "play" on the dvd player and

"record" on the vid camera. then you've transferred it to minidv. then from there you go through FCP.