I want to try Flashing

So the topic of flashing came up in another thread and I want to delve into the topic a bit, but I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread so I'm starting a new one.

I heard about flashing the film a few years ago but have never gotten around to trying it out my self. I'd love to hear any one's thoughts on the subject, especially if you've used the technique.

Thank you

• Premium Member

Labs are very vary of pre- or post-flashing the film, so you'd have to do it during the shoot. Either with an Arri Varicon or a Panaflasher.

Personally I enjoy flashing very much. Just try not to get arrested.

• Premium Member

Personally I enjoy flashing very much. Just try not to get arrested.

... I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist! :D

There are various threads on neg-flashing on the site. David M.Mullen flashed the neg on Northfork a couple of years ago so he's the man (as he always is) who's brains you should pick on this subject. It takes precise control and a lot of testing I'd say...

I thought up a couple of crude ways to do it with a Bolex, but being able to dial in the effect in a predictable way would be a bit tricky. I guess that would be the poor-mans Panaflasher.

• Premium Member
I thought up a couple of crude ways to do it with a Bolex, but being able to dial in the effect in a predictable way would be a bit tricky. I guess that would be the poor-mans Panaflasher.

I've done it with a Panaflasher. Never tried the Varicon, which is somewhat difficult to come by. Also, there is a greater tendency to flaring with the Varicon, since the glass is based on an UltraCon. I once panned past a lake with hot sun glaring off of it and it totally lit up an UltraCon filter I was using -- I would worry about a VariCon acting the same way when direct light hit it.