pd 150, progressive?

David Bradley

Picked up a PD-150 today and started browsing the menu and noticed a progressive scan mode option. Is the PD-150 truly progressive?

I've seen some weird things happen with footage shot in progressive with that camera. The pixels seem to change shape and really distort your image so it looks very low res...the person who probably shot the footage I saw didn't have his settings right, but still, be careful before you try it I guess.

• Premium Member
thats a shame, why isn't it 24p/25p or 30p capable? I know its a bit old and its probably a really neive question but if it has a proggressive sensor why doesn't it operate at a practible frame rate?

The PD 150 came out well before the advent of 24P video. I doubt it's a truly progressive sensor. It's more likely that it used some kind of "cumulative mode" to capture pixel information over a longer duration, and then spit it back out as a progressive frame. I'm guessing that's probably why it's only 15fps -- the onboard technology probably couldn't keep up with a full 30fps. And in-camera pulldown technology hadn't been introduced at the prosumer level yet to allow 24P.